Chapter Thirty

Chapter 30
Silent Treatment

CARTER

Carter: After all this. Nine years of friendship. Being separated for a decade. Getting closer for almost five months, this is how you decide to leave? By cutting me out? I thought you were more mature than that.

Carter: You don't even have the balls to tell me what's wrong. You're cutting me out. Again.

Carter: What if I did this to you, huh? What if I just stopped talking to you for no reason? You know what, I'd never do that. Because when I said I'll never leave you, I meant it. Clearly it doesn't go both ways.

I hadn't realized a tear slipped out of my eye until a drop fell onto my screen.

It's been four days since I last heard from Daniel—not for a lack of trying. I've texted. I've come over. But I was constantly shut down by Luis when he opened the door. Yesterday, I nearly collapsed to my knees and begged him to let me in and wait for him.

Luis gave me the same pained smile before repeating his motto the last few days. "Just give him some space."

I would have without hesitation if that was what he needed. But he completely stopped speaking to me, not giving me a chance to figure out why.

Jade and Willow noticed my change in behaviour. Hell, I noticed it. It wasn't difficult to see I'd been moody. As stupid as it sounded to anyone else, I've started wearing black. I typically avoided the colour growing up, always wanting to appear happy and bright, but now... I didn't have it in me to care anymore.

Luis was a bright person, not me. I was a fake.

I stared at my phone for a little longer, willing Daniel to message me back. When he didn't, I squeezed it tighter before shoving the phone into my black biker short pocket. I tilted my head up and glared at the ocean in front of me.

This was our bench, but right now, I wanted to kick it in frustration.

He hurt me. His silence hurt me.

We promised we'd never leave each other.

I was angry. I was so angry. But tears were burning my eyes, no matter how many times I blinked them away. At this point, I considered stopping by the mall in the city, simply to confront him in a place he had nowhere to escape. No best friend to keep me out.

"Are you always here?"

The sudden voice made me shoot my back straight before whipping my head behind me. I glared when I saw who stood a few feet behind me, smoking a cigarette. Not wanting to keep my back to him, I stood up and twisted, so I faced him. Although, I kept the bench between us for good measure.

Crossing my arms over my chest, I clenched out, "What do you want, Dallas?"

I watched as he pushed himself off the railing, striding toward me. "I want to talk," he explained, studying me with interest before throwing the cigarette on the ground. He stomped on it hard, his eyes never moving off mine. "What's your problem? That dude who followed still giving you trouble again?"

A snort left me, surprised by his interest. "And you care?"

Eyes now narrowed, he rocked back on his heel. "What the fuck is your problem?"

"Right now? You." I snorted in disbelief before throwing my arms out. "You think I want to talk to you? Danny told me everything, Dallas."

His expression instantly sobered, turning blank. "I get why you hate him. I do," I said, softening my voice. "But you both grew up in shitty situations. It wasn't his fault that your foster dad hurt you. It's the guy's fault. Daniel never asked for him to hit you."