Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter 22
Abandoned or Stolen?

The moment we stepped out of the elevator, it felt like my stress was spilling out from my pores. That could also just be sweat.

Daniel was next to me, clearly unrealizing how he was grounding me to reality. Even as he led me to the front desk. I blindly followed his lead, my eyes never leaving the entrance of the hall, where I knew Ashley's office stood.

My chest rose faster, and I felt a panic attack coming at the thought of confronting my birth mother. Daniel noticed before it could get any worse.

"Everything will be okay," he murmured next to my ear before gently caressing the palm of my hand with his thumb. "I'm right here. Take a deep breath."

I did as he instructed and sure enough, the black dots clouding my vision began to disappear. Tipping my head back, I gave him a grateful smile before his thumb pressed against my thumb. Or silent promise hung in the air before he led us the rest of the way to the desk.

We stopped in front of the woman, and I waited a few seconds for her to lift her gaze off the computer in front of her. She arched a brow, and Daniel squeezed my hand for reassurance.

With that, I took a deep breath and said, "Hi, I... I was just wondering if Ashley was in her office."

"Yes..." She drawled slowly before flickering her eyes to the screen. "Do you have an appointment?"

"No, but—"

"Then I can't help you."

"She will want to talk to her." Daniel spoke impassively, but I could hear his thinly veiled threat. We go, with or without your permission.

The woman narrowed her eyes faintly, but there was a nervous twitch in her jaw. "Well, I can let her know—"

"Carter?"

Her familiar voice shot shards of glass to my chest. Daniel must have read my expression instantly because he formed himself as a protective shield in front of me. I nervously glanced over his shoulder to see an out of breath Ashley standing by the hall. She must have heard us come in somehow.

"Hi," she whispered in astonishment, eyes wide.

She didn't say anything else. For what felt like several minutes, her green eyes drifted over me—well, as much as she could. Daniel still hadn't stopped blocking me, but I also didn't have it in me to pull him aside.

After she managed to find her voice, she stammered, "Let's... come to my office."

Daniel waited until I nudged myself forward before following Ashley into her office. I would have laughed at his protectiveness if I wasn't nearly shitting myself. Although, seeing Ashley nervous did ease my anxiety. The entire time she filled her kettle, her hands were shaking.

I slowly lowered myself onto the sofa before Daniel sat next to me, his hand never leaving mine. I threw a leg over the other while he widened his legs apart, almost as if he was trying to appear bigger than he actually was. I hid my smile until he brought our locked hands onto his lap.

Heat was radiating off him, and I found myself repressing a shiver while Ashley scrambled to make tea by the table across from me.

"I... do you want something to drink?" Her voice wavered slightly when she glanced to Daniel.

He only stared at her coldly. I gripped his hand tighter, and he roughly grumbled, "Sure."

Ashley smiled tensely. "Tea? Coffee?"