We Don't Call This 'Fun'

Whether or not Y/n had almost infinite time to sit around and think or play with the younger kids or talk to other people, they still hated everything. The place was a nightmare and they weren't escaping anytime soon. Then again, having been stuck there for almost ten years doesn't exactly give them any more free time or anything than before. For Y/n, it was a constant on and off between being allowed to do something because their attitude had been amazing for a good month or two then taken away out of fear of harming themselves or others as their mood dropped quickly.

Some of the staff didn't exactly help with their constant mood fluctuations. Save for the one nurse that was extremely cautious, kind, slow and helpful to them, most of the others treated Y/n as the worst of the whole bunch of people. Multiple times Y/n had been yelled at, hit, pushed around, cornered, etc, by staff members of the institute, provoking Y/n into fighting back and even having killed two of them after being cornered and feeling threatened.

They were locked in a padded room for a few weeks after that one.Y/n had tried to calm down a bit after the incident, reverting to curling up in a ball on the floor and screaming their vocal cords raw, or until that one nurse they loved came up to help coax them out of the ball and back to their room to calm down.

Digressing, the days were practically bleak and merging together. Y/n hardly knew what day was what and what happened when. It was rare they left their room unless to use the bathroom or grab their medication (maybe the occasional coaxing to grab some food, which always got left barely touched). Half the time, they weren't even in their room; instead, moping on the couch in the small common room between theirs and an empty room.

Ever since the Monsters have broken through the barrier (three years ago) of their former home under Mt Ebbot, more humans (mostly kids) have been sent to the institute. Although they've had at least a good seven more kids within the past eleven months, the one room beside Y/n's remained vacant. They didn't know why they never let anyone stay in that room and frankly, they stopped caring. It was nice not to deal with anyone around them constantly. Something that made it easier for them to deal with their own mental problems.

Y/n half stared at the green magic floating around in their hand, sometimes forming into objects and sometimes just wrapping around their arm like a snake. Magic wasn't allowed in the ward at all, it was in fact banned from the area due to how it was a ward for magic using humans that are casted out from society as insane and different from normal non-magic-using humans. Y/n didn't care, besides-- blankly watching their magic flow around their hand and arm helped them remain calm and cope without wanting to kill every single staff member in the facility. So, fuck the rules, really.

They blinked out of their trance-like state and glanced at the clock. It was about 2:45 in the morning; not a bad time to get up and go to bed but the couch was too comfy to even leave. Besides, they had imprinted themselves into the couch for so long that leaving just seemed impossible-- their body felt too heavy to move. They decided to remain there instead.

At least staying up staring into space for hours paid off some; loud banging and shouting echoed through the halls as someone was brought to the room next to Y/n's. The door slammed and the shouted died down; a few grunts and banging here and there but that was all.

It went quiet for a bit, maybe a bit of mumbling, and whoever was thrown into the other room finally calmed down a bit. Y/n thought they might've went to bed or sat down to stay up the rest of the night.

At least, they hoped. The doorknob to the middle room turned slowly and opened, a kid around only sixteen-years-old poking their head through and staring at Y/n. The latter froze on their spot on the couch, staring at the kid like a deer in headlights.