Chapter 4: I'm Fine

"So Kwon Jiyong is an asshat."

"Pretty much." I gulp my drink, and Jin pats my shoulder in sympathy.

"And you quit your job over it."

"Yeah."

"And your boyfriend dumped you."

"For the last time, Jin. He wasn't my boyfriend."

He sips his cocktail, placing the glass back on the counter and shooting a pointed look at me.

"Excuse me if I don't know the correct terminology here. He was what? Your fuck-buddy? Friend with benefits?"

"I'm not sure if we were even friends." I groan into my glass of whiskey. The brown liquid sparkles in the light, and I take another mouthful, letting the alcohol burn its way down my system.

"House-mates with benefits, then?"

"Something like that."

He gives a grave nod. He was always the kind of person who became more and more serious with each drink. 

"Did he say why he wanted out?" He asks, his eyes solemn.

"He was bored." I squint at the brightness of the lights, thinking of the conversation that happened in the morning. "That was part of our deal."

"Damn." Jin drawls, staring into the emptiness of his glass. "That's cold."

"Sounds like Yoongi." I pass a hand over my eyes and lay my head down on the counter. "Cold."

"I'm confused about your life-choices, Em." He turns in his seat. "Why didn't you get a normal boyfriend like everyone else?"

"Because I didn't have the time for an actual relationship," I say, not bothering to lift my head. I mumble through the mess of the hair covering my face instead. "You know how hard I worked this past year for my project."

"And now you're all torn up over this guy? The one you were not in a relationship with?"

"I'm not. I'm just—" I sigh, feeling sick all of a sudden. "I guess it hurt my pride a little bit."

"Whatever you say." Jin orders another drink.