"Gosh Marvolo, you are such a gentleman," Rose said dryly. "I'm sure that you are the first man to figure out that the way to a girl's heart is by threatening to kill her pet."

"It's not a threat. It's a promise."

"Even better," Rose muttered, looking back into her parchment.

"Look who is being rude now," Marvolo said pointedly. "I gave you a room in my house with the goodness of my heart," Marvolo said ignoring Rose's snort. "and here you are being utterly ungrateful."

"I'm sorry," Rose said sincerely. "I suppose I should say nice things about you, but my parents taught me that lying is bad." She said before promptly ignoring his presence and concentrating on her work.

Marvolo rolled his eyes before turning around to leave, but of course, he had to have the last word.

"Try not to look in the mirror. I would rather it not shatter due to the trauma you would no doubt give it from seeing you in this state." He said in a slightly teasing tone.

------> 0o0 <------

5 minutes later:

"I don't look that bad, do I?" Rose thought aloud, before shaking her head. "Of course not. Marvolo must be exaggerating as always does. Stupid Marvolo."

------> 0o0 <------

7 more minutes later:

"Ugh!" Rose yelled. "Why was he so rude! It's not like I ever told him he looks like a cross between a troll and a goblin!"

------> 0o0 <------

3 minutes later:

"But he doesn't look like a troblin." Rose sighed. "He looks like the love child of Aphrodite and Adonis. Why does he have to look so pretty! Stupid Marvolo who never lets me win an argument." Rose grumbled.

------> 0o0 <------

15 minutes later:

"You look horrible Rose." Rose imitated a shrill, horrible impression of Marvolo. "Don't jump from the stairs. The carpets are new and blood is hard to get out. A proper lady doesn't curse Rose." Rose smiled prettily and batted her eyelashes in fakeness. "Oh of course Marvolo, I live to please you. Would you like me to massage your head while you sleep? I would love nothing more than to strangle you with your pillow." Rose muttered angrily. "Stupid Marvolo and his stupid rules."

------> 0o0 <------

13 minutes later:

"Do I honestly look that bad!" Rose exclaimed tiredly, arms falling in exasperation.

'Screw this.' She thought. 'Why do I care what he thinks?' Rose paused. 'Oh, who am I kidding? Of course, I care what he thinks. His words are practically my bible.'

Call her vain, but ever since Marvolo commented on her looks roughly about forty-three minutes ago, that was all she could think about and she had hence, been unable to study.

So perhaps if she just looks into the mirror and identifies the truth -or lack of, therefore- of his statement, she was sure that she would be able to concentrate on her headache again (read: test).

So she stepped away from her the mess of her bed and then looked into a mirror.

There were dark circles beneath her eyes, and tiredness was evident on her face. But she looked exactly as she always did.