10

Shit

   Shit.
     I thought I had sensed her presence, but I thought I was just being paranoid. So much for that.
     "My, my, seems like your reflexes are as sharp as ever," an all too familiar voice chuckled.
     A woman who looked to be in her mid twenties walked out from the forest. Her wavy hair that went down to her hips faded from dark blue at the roots to a light blue at the tips that almost looked like it was glowing and looked like flames as they twirled and moved. Her skin was fair and her eyes were such a vibrant blue it was like staring into the ocean itself. Though her eyes looked almost alien like, more round than normal and her pupils looked more like slits.
     Her lips were a pale pink and were upturned into a smile that might look playful if you didn't know the demon behind it.
     I put my hand back down and the outline of the greenish clear shield disappeared. I wasn't at full stamina due to sparring with Rook which worried me.
     "Come on, we haven't seen each other in two years! Where's my welcome? You could at least say hi," the woman asked.
     "What do you want, Nirvana?" I spat, voice full of venom.
     Her name really contradicted her personality. Nirvana is a Buddhist term which essentially means a place of absolute peace. This women is the one you'd go to if you wanted to destroy peace.
     Nirvana pouted. "Aw, you sound like you're not excited to see me."
     Rage flared up inside of me. I clenched my hands into fists, my nails digging into my skin.
     "I wonder how hot my fire would have to be to burn you alive," I growled.
     Nirvana laughed. "How will I ever live without your commentary? Why don't you come with me? You haven't forgotten my promise to you, have you?"
     "Go. To. Hell," I said through gritted teeth.
     Nirvana sighed. "Oh well. I tried to talk reason but you don't listen well."
     I put up a shield just in time for Nirvana's fire ball, blue as always. Seeing those flames just made me angrier.
     I had pulled my dagger out in a matter of seconds. The blade itself was no good against a mage but it was great for harnessing magic while using less stamina.
     Vibrant flames coated the dagger, flickering in shades of orange and red. My flames were normal, unlike Nirvana's blue ones. I don't know why they're blue but I've never seen anything like it.
     Nirvana stepped to the side before I could cut or burn her. She moved her hand ever so slightly and the dagger flung out of hand.
     "Come on, darling, you think petty little tricks like that could harm me?" Nirvana laughed.
     I made ice form at Nirvana's feet so that it would keep her stuck to the ground but the ice just melted as soon as it tried to touch her.
     Nirvana sent another blue fireball at me, this one larger than the one before. I quickly dodged, trying to save as much stamina as possible.
     I quickly glanced over at Rook- seeing that he was still too shocked to say or do anything- and Nirvana took the opportunity to summon a flaming sword and strike me.
     The flames cut into my shoulder and left light burns on the side of my neck and down a bit of my arm. I bit back the urge to yelp out in pain.
     I jumped back, trying to put distance between me and Nirvana, I gripped my shoulder that was cut with my other hand, blood streaming over my fingers. How had Nirvana done so much damage with one strike?
     Nirvana smiled, in no hurry to strike me again. Blue flames still surrounded her hand in a sword like shape.
     "Come on, Sage. You could be quite powerful if you just let me teach you."
     "I'd rather not burn villages to the ground," I hissed. Does it count as spiteful if they truly did something awful?
     "Come on, you can't blame me for that!" Nirvana whined.
     A lot of people say that the most dangerous people are the ones who seem sweet and don't make you raise your guard. In this case, they're correct.
     Nirvana acted like a child most of the time, or at least playful. I've never seen her serious, even after razing a whole village to the ground.
     The trees surrounding me started to move, bending towards me at my will. "How could you think it was anyone else's fault?"
     The branches shot out at Nirvana, trying to stab her. She lazily flicked her hand, the branches flying off into whichever direction she pointed to.
     "I won't even waste my flames on this sad attempt at attacking," Nirvana said in a whiny voice.
     I grinded my teeth. Fire didn't work, ice didn't work, earth didn't work. I was running out of magic that I could do using minimal stamina.
     Nirvana flicked her hand one more time and sent another ball of fire at me. I immediately met it with a sudden wave of water that torched the fire.
     That was it, Nirvana's weakness. Water.
     I conjured up a wall of water and crashed it on top of Nirvana, forming it completely around her. The water should counteract Nirvana's flames and hopefully would drown her.
     This was it. I was about to finally kill Nirvana.
     The water suddenly started to shift on it's own. I tried to keep it stable but to no avail. The water prison that encompassed Nirvana gave way, splitting up into smaller balls of water that levitated in the air.
     Nirvana stood in the center of the floating balls of water, her body still relaxed and perfectly dry. "Don't you just find water magic fascinating? It's so beautiful because you can easily shape it into whatever you want."
     The water started to group back together in between me and Nirvana. It started to twist and turn until it finally shaped into a huge dragon.
     The air immediately left my lungs in surprise. The water dragon had to scale the accurate size of a dragon, standing about 17 feet tall and probably twice that in length. Nirvana had obviously added water to the amount I had supplied. I'd never seen any mage control so much at one time.
     "Here's a little tip, the first thing any mage should learn is how to master their greatest weakness," Nirvana said cheerfully.
     The water dragon snapped it's mouth at me, surrounding me with water. I didn't have time to really get a good breath in, so my lungs were already burning and the burns on my shoulder stung at the chilly touch of water.
     I desperately tried to push the water away, to form air around me, but it was pointless. My stamina was going down every second I didn't get air and Nirvana was forcefully pushing the water around me.
     I thrashed around in the water involuntarily, desperately trying to get air. You always take oxygen for granted.
     My vision started to blur. It didn't take long for someone to grow unconscious due to drowning. Especially when they didn't get a lot of air to begin with.
     The second I felt myself about to slip into unconsciousness, the water around me dispersed. I fell to my knees and started to cough up the water in my lungs.
     "What's your weakness, Sage? I wonder if it's water, just like me. It would make sense. Our magic is so similar after all," Nirvana said with a giggle.
     I wanted to tell her how unsimilar are magic is but I was still trying to take in the air.
     It's funny that people always describe getting deep breaths of air after nearly suffocate as a cool and refreshing feeling. The truth is, you feel nothing. You hardly feel the air enter your lungs as you gasp it in. You just feel emptiness.
     "Or maybe your weakness isn't within elemental magic. Maybe it's something more advance. There's so much out there that it really makes me curious," Nirvana continued.
     I staggered to my feet. "I don't think you need to know my weakness," I hissed angrily.
     I haven't really thought about my weakness. I haven't really decided on a main magic yet, not like how Nirvana uses her flames. I train and use a variety of magic, though I do like to stick to elemental magic.
     Nirvana laughed. "Oh, you are just so cute when you're feisty!"
     My anger flared. She wasn't even taking this fight seriously! Is everything just a game to her? Is taking human life a game?!
     I lifted my hand, rocks jutting out of the ground at the motion. The rocks spiked out towards Nirvana, encasing her in a rock cage as well as stabbing through the spot she was standing at.
     The rocks suddenly shattered away from Nirvana in a sudden magic burst. Nirvana stood with her hand out and not a single scratch on her.
     "Your earth magic is quite well. It would be impressive for a normal mage your age to pull off. Of course, you're not a normal mage," Nirvana giggled, putting her hand to her pink lips.
     I paused for a second. Nirvana did know a lot about me and, for the most part, I didn't think about it. But how did she know I wasn't a normal mage? My magic isn't any different from any other mages, I never acted any different.
     A strange thought passed through my mind, if only for a second. Did Nirvana know why I was different?
     "That's a funny statement coming from the mage who's flames are blue," I snickered.
     Nirvana laughed. "My flames are quite unique, yes. But I'm sure yours will change too. You're by far more unique than me."
     I noticed my dagger laid on the ground only a few feet away from me. I conjured a ball of fire and threw it at Nirvana. I glanced over at my dagger and created a small ice mouse that picked up the dagger and started to run it towards me. Nirvana hadn't seen it yet so I just had to keep her busy and keep her focus on me.
     Nirvana swatted away the fireball as if it was fog. I would have felt better if she had burn marks but of course her skin was still flawless.
     The mouse was still too far away from me for me to grab my dagger. I needed more time.
     I set fire in a circle around Nirvana. I needed to keep her busy until I got my dagger.
     Nirvana waved her hand in a theatrical way. A gust of wind surrounded her and blew out the flames I had set.
     "My, my, I am disappointed in your flames. How come your fire is so weak? Certainly it should be your strongest magic, or at least element," Nirvana said, perplexed.
     I normally would have mulled this over a bit but I didn't have time. The ice mouse scurried up to my feet and I snatched the dagger away from it. As soon as I grabbed it, the mouse broke into glistening sparks that fell to the ground in a pile of bluish white dust.
     I set the dagger on fire and lunged at Nirvana. While she was distracted by her thoughts, she managed to put up a shield before the blade could make contact. I immediately jumped back so Nirvana couldn't strike.
     I landed right next to my dagger sheath. I quickly grabbed it and lit it on fire as well.
     I dashed at Nirvana again. She threw up another shield before I made contact. We clashed a few more times, me striking with both sheath and dagger and Nirvana kept on blocking me with magical walls.
     I was about to lunge at her once more when she flickered her hand to the left. I felt an invisible force grab hold of me. My body was flung to the left through the air. I fell next to a tree, my head hitting a rock as I landed. I groaned at the pain. That was a sure dip in my stamina.
     My head throbbed and I felt something cool run down the back of my neck. Blood. Well that's just fabulous.
     I did my best to stand but only got to my hands and knees. My vision was a bit blurred but I was starting to focus. I wasn't someone who got injured easily. I was pretty resilient.
     "Don't make me hurt you any more, darling. Haven't you learned your lesson?" Nirvana said softly.
     "I don't give a damn about your lessons," I mumbled.
     I stumbled to my feet. As soon as I was standing I touched my hand to the back of my head and looked at it. It was stained red. I wiped my hand off on my pants.
     My dagger had landed next to me along with the sheath. I scooped them up and gripped it tightly. I wasn't that injured. I could still use magic as long as I stuck to elemental magic that didn't take much stamina.
     I sent gust of wind toward Nirvana who easily deflected it away. The wind gales were sent to the side, cutting tree branches that were in it's path.
     "While your power isn't that exceptional, your stamina is quite impressive, I must say," Nirvana said with a smile.
     "What can I say, I injure myself enough to get used to using magic," I said with a smirk.
     If Nirvana wants to play the deranged killer without a care in the world, well, I can play that game too.
     The temperature started to drop which annoyed me. Of all times, this wasn't the time for it to get colder.
     I held out my hand and sent out a bolt of lightning in which Nirvana deflected into a tree which blackened upon impact.
     I sent electricity through my dagger and sheath. The metal of it should make the electricity more deadly. I'm hoping that'll make it deadly enough.
     I dashed towards Nirvana with my dagger and sheath at the ready. I swung my sheath out first in which she blocked with a magical shield. I swung my dagger next which Nirvana slightly moved her head away from and then used magic to force my hand to miss. Telekinesis has to be the most annoying magic type I've ever run into.
     As I slid past Nirvana, still in a striking movement, Nirvana grabbed my wrist holding the dagger and yanked it back.
     The sharp movement made me wince and the dagger fell from my hand the second time this fight. With the sheath still in my other, I tried to hit Nirvana's hand with the electrified metal. A magical force instantly stopped me and threw my arm away from her grip on my wrist.
     Nirvana took my wrist and twisted it behind my back. I thought she was just going to keep it there so she could say some other sadistic nonsense like she's been doing this whole fight but she kept twisting it. Twisting and twisting, painfully. It was probably quicker in real life but it felt like an eternity before I heard the crack ring through my ears.
     I found myself screaming before I even knew it. Cold blood streamed down my arm but I could barely feel it. I couldn't tell if it was because my arm was in so much pain or if it was just plain out numb.
     Nirvana let go of my arm and I fell to my knees. My arm was consumed in pain. I think my humerus broke as I couldn't feel or move anything from the shoulder down. I prayed that the bone wasn't displaced. It would take far too long to heal if the bone no longer lined up.
     Blood dripped down my arm and onto the grass, staining it red. It occurred to me that I've never broken a bone up until this point. It was a stupid thought but pain tends to mess up your head.
     "The burning blue mage," a meek voice mumbled.
     Both Nirvana and I turned to look at Rook. Nirvana looked startled, if just for a second. I think she had forgotten that Rook was there. Honestly, I had too.
     Rook was on his knees and his whole body was shaking. His eyes were wide and frightful. He could barely comprehend the scene before him which was actually a good thing. If he tried to intervene he would be killed in seconds.
     Nirvana smiled wide. "Oh my gosh, the prince knows of me! I'm so honored, your majesty," she said excitedly, like a kid who just saw a box of chocolates that they could eat.
     Nirvana started to walk towards where Rook was. My heart immediatly started pounding as I began to panic. Rook was just a fragile human. He'd have no means of protecting himself against a monster like Nirvana.
     I lifted my good hand and sent a deluge of ice shards towards Nirvana. The ice shards were mere inches away from Nirvana when a bluish clear shield was thrown up around her and the ice ricocheted off, falling to the ground and turning into bluish white dust.
     Damn. I was so close.
     Nirvana turned around to face me. "My, my, well isn't this a surprise. I didn't think you'd still be able to use magic in that state of yours. Your stamina is truly remarkable."
     "Stay... Away... From him," I hissed as best I could through the pain.
     Nirvana laughed. "You're pretty blind to the situation here." Nirvana walked up to me in graceful strides until she stood right above where I was on my hands and knees.
     Nirvana bended down next to me and played her fingers through my hair. I immediately tried to move away but she swiftly grabbed my chin, keeping me in place.
     "I told you that I would follow you no matter where you went and would destroy whatever happiness you had," Nirvana whispered in my ear, sending a shiver throughout my whole body.
     Nirvana's hand went from gripped my chin to wrapping around my neck. With one hand around my throat, she lifted me up into the air as her grip tightened and tightened.
     Nirvana was a lot stronger than she looked. She held me as high off the ground as her long limbs permitted and her grip was already knocking the air out of me.
     I struggled, trying to kick at her with my legs. My one good hand clawed at the hand holding me, trying to get her to loosen her grip so I could breath, while my broken arm dangled limply by my side.
     Nirvana wasn't the slightest bit fazed. She just stared at me with a bright smile as her grip tightened and tightened.
     "The good news for you is that I don't have to do that. You already doomed your happiness when you decided to hang out with the prince. So let me tell you what's going to happen. Your little prince has seen your illegal magic. You're a threat to him. He'll betray you the second he can and you'll be executed. But you won't be executed, now will you? He betrayed you and you have a right to live. So you'll kill him before you come crawling back to me, begging me to still accept you. And I will. I'll welcome you with open arms and this will all just feel like a bad dream. 'Kay?" Nirvana said cheerfully.
     Only about half of her words were registering in my brain. I needed air. If I didn't die from suffocating I was sure my neck would snap, as Nirvana kept on tightening and tightening her grip.
     Nirvana suddenly threw me to the side. My back hit a tree, sending a shock of pain through my whole body. I fell to the ground, crumpled in pain. My vision was blurry and I was sure I was about to loose consciousness. Still, I tried to focus on Nirvana.
     Nirvana still stood where she was standing when she threw me. Her bright smile was plastered on her face and her eyes sparkled with playfulness. It made me sick to look at her dragon like eyes.
     "Now, I can't have your prince betraying you while you're in that pitiful state so I'll make sure to buy you some time." Nirvana flicked her hand towards Rook and I saw him crumple to the ground, unconscious. I didn't know what kind of magic she had used but it was quite affective.
     "Do come and find me once you kill your prince. I'll be waiting," Nirvana said happily.
     "You'll have to wait a lifetime for me to come crawling to you," I hissed despite the pain that danced throughout my entire body.
     Nirvana pouted for a few seconds before she smiled. "You'll come around eventually. Trust me, I should know! I'm always right, you know? I look forward to the next time our paths cross." 
     No, not those words. Not those god damn words again.
     Nirvana started to walk away. I wanted to yell at her. Scream at her. I can't even explain how much I wanted to do that. But my body was in too much pain to so much as open my mouth.
     The last thing I saw before slipping into the darkness was Nirvana's flame like blue hair, bouncing up and down as she happily walked away.