It was the strongest I've ever felt, the most confident. I could teleport between worlds. I could convene with demon or angel, god or goddess. I had knowledge, growth, an understanding as to why I endured Hell on earth from birth.

As relieved as I am to be back, I cannot seem to let go of those desires.

I'm pulled towards the darkness, even now, even after Jehovah's stripping of my powers.

I still feel like a goddess, yet I am deprived of the glory.

"We're here," Jiayi says, disrupting the crickets.

The check-point. Our last check-point.

It's larger than I expected, gated even. The electric barbwire bars the world from within, which only makes me more suspicious of what they're hiding. Paris releases my hand as we all shift to attention, approaching the guards blockading the man-made road of upturned dirt.

I'm wearing Jiayi's jacket, which I'm swimming in. The others couldn't offer theirs, due to the fact that they undoubtedly look like foreigners. The guards flag him down, which evidently appears to shock Jiayi, who adheres with a low curse.

In mandarin, Jiayi speaks to the guard, who observes us all with a furrowed expression. A woman and three foreigners is cause for suspicion, no doubt. Something the guard says stuns both Jiayi and Elijah, who both speak the language.

By this time, another guard has approached the other side of the vehicle—Elijah's side.

Elijah's gaze for the first time in hours flickers to my face before focusing of them completely. He speaks in their language, stunning them with a question. I focus on Elijah's hand gestures, which he directs towards the camp.

Their voices begin to rise. The tension does too.

Paris instinctively begins to cover me with his body. Keeping my head down, I begin to worry.

Suddenly, Elijah's voice lowers to a steady vibration, his words leaving him with deep, almost sensual confidence. I can't help but lift my gaze to watch him, see what the hell he's doing.

The guards are silent now, listening to him intently.

When I watch their heads begin to nod, I'm not lost to what he's accomplishing.

I've watched him lure people before, to get what he wants. It's almost laughable when the humans begin to creep back away from the vehicle, flagging up an arm to alert the person controlling the gate to allow us to pass. Jiayi kindly thanks the men, pressing on the gas the first chance he gets.

"They won't be following us," Elijah says calmly, staring ahead.

Jiayi chuckles excitedly. "I've never seen a vampire actually possess the power to do that."

"Damien and Paris can do it. All it requires is patience."

"Can it be taught?"

Elijah rolls his head towards the eager driver, smirking softly. "I will teach you."

"Two-hundred years on earth and I'm still learning things. What a joy."

Damien scoffs, patting Elijah's shoulders fondly. "Try four-hundred. The old man is still our teacher."

Elijah is rare with affection, so when he grasps Damien's hand on his shoulder, squeezing it paternally, the reactions of his sons are priceless, always immensely pleased to have made him proud.

The road is bumpy and irregular, constantly sopping wet mud. This area of the forest is prone to rain showers. It's currently drizzling, but we've been in the car long enough that I've lost feeling in my body parts. There's no point to complain about it.