Ch. 4

Jace's POV

I got to my house just slightly before my friends did so I waited beside my car as Dallas and Grace's cars drove up to me. Riley gets rides from Grace every day so they're in the same car.

"Hey."

They smiled at me as they walked up to me, "So what did you want to show us?"

"Follow me."

I led them to my front door and walked in before them, not even bothering to look at their reactions. I heard gasps and they took their shoes off and walked out of the entryway into the house. Our house is pretty bare by now. It's Thursday and we're mostly packed up to move to Paul's house. All we really have left is basic needs for the day. We sold our living room furniture, we have pictures packed up, most of our dishes and silverware is wrapped and packed, so are our bed frames so we all just have our mattresses on the floor. Do not ask me why we did that so early because I have no idea.

"You're moving?" Grace asked, starting to tear up.

I gave her a small hug, "Yeah but I'm staying at the same school, don't worry."

"Why are you moving so suddenly? And why didn't you tell us?"

I shrugged, "I didn't know either until Friday night."

"Well, why are you moving?" Dallas repeated Riley's first question.

"And where?" Grace added.

"In the rich neighborhood off of main street."

They all gasped.

"Did your mom get a promotion or something?"

I shook my head, "She's marrying wealthy."

"Wow."

I nodded, "I know right. That's not even the most shocking."

"Who's she marrying?"

"His name is Paul Walker."

It took them a minute but suddenly Riley gasped, "No!"

I nodded.

"Alec Walker?"

"My new stepbrother. Well, not yet. In two weeks."

"Oh my God."

"Yup."

It was quiet for a minute as they all soaked in this information.

"How does Alec feel about it?"

I shrugged, "How should I know? Probably upset like me. We had to act civil in front of our parents when they told us and no way in hell am I going to go up and ask him about it."

"Well, what are you going to do? You two can't be in the same room without something happening."

"I have no idea. I guess all I can do is ignore him."

Grace went and sat on our carpet in our living room and we followed her, "May I say something?"

I nodded as I laid down on my stomach and rested my chin on my hands.

"I honestly think you and Alec hate each other for all the wrong reasons."

I rolled my eyes, "This again?"

"Hear me out!"

"Ok."

"You hate him because you think he's stuck up and he only cares about himself. He hates you because I don't know... I think he thinks you're annoying. And whenever you're in classes together, you clash. It starts with him telling you to be quiet then you tell him to mind his own business and everything goes down from there. Normal 'enemies' don't fight over that little."

"What's your point?"

"I think you should talk to him and try to get over your problems with each other. It will be better for the long haul."

I groaned and Riley and Dallas nodded, "She has a point. I didn't wanna say anything before but this is a good chance to fix stuff."

"Why should I do that?"

Grace shrugged, "Because he might not do it first and you want to have a peaceful life, right?"

"Yeah..."

"Well, that ain't happening if you two don't talk. As much as you may dislike it, he's a part of your life now."

I scrunched up my face, "I hate how you said that."

We all burst into laughter then and stopped talking about the whole Alec and moving problem. Instead, we talked about our days and crap going on in the school and we had fun as careless teenagers. Sitting in a circle on the floor of my bare-ass living room.

**

Alec's POV

M- What?

I rolled my eyes. He can be pretty stupid sometimes.

A- Jace Summers is moving into my house.

M- Why?

A- His mom is marrying my dad. I'm so pissed.

M- Sorry, bro

M- Just focus on being happy for your dad. You know how happy she's been making him

A- Yeah I know it just sucks. But I guess I'll have to live with it

M- Yeah

A- Hey, can you not let anyone know about this?

M- Why not?

A- Idk, I just don't want it spreading around the school. Everyone knows we hate each other, they don't need to know we'll have to deal with each other outside of school too

M- True

M- You do realize though, he's not actually a bad guy

A- I swear to God, Mike

M- Hey, hear me out

M- You don't like him because you think he's too outgoing, right? Like it seems he's trying too hard to be unique and liked?

A- Yeah, it's annoying as hell

M- But it's just how he is. He's a nice guy when you get to know him, just like you

A- What do you mean?

M- Well he thinks you're stuck up and only care about yourself, but when someone gets to know you they know that isn't true.

M- Both of you are similar, you don't seem as good of a person as you are until you talk to you

A- So what you're saying is I should try to get to know him?

M- I know it's a long shot, but yes

I thought for a minute before replying. Maybe he's right... but I'm too stubborn to ever admit that to anyone. I know how I seem before you know me. But still.

A- I'll just stick to ignoring him

M- Well I tried

A- Lol

M- I gotta go, I'll see you tomorrow

A- See you

After we stopped texting, I took a shower and laid in my bed. As I tried to fall asleep though I thought more about what Mike was saying. Maybe I should try to be friendly with Jace... for once. Even if I do though, would he play nice back? It's hard to say.