22. A Theme of Unknown & Breaking the Cycle

Start from the beginning

Some people believed the room had become a landing point for extraterrestrials.

Some believed it was home to a mad scientist, or an inventor.

The crowd's speculation continued further when the Institution's emergency vehicle rolled up through the thin streets that had been congested by parked cars on either side, each facing the same way.

After that, the time where Dylan was conscious was a blur.

~ ~ ~

The way he turned his neck, his muscles straining, was what brought Dylan out of unconsciousness. Rubbing the muscles carefully, he noted a slim bandage placed along the edge of his clavicle and along his chin.

He was in a doctor's examination room, with a nurse standing in the corner checking over his paperwork. She turned and, surprised, let out a quick, "Oh!" before proceeding. "I was just about to wake you, Mr. Matthews." Dylan sat up slowly. He was about to ask what happened before the nurse added, "Your mother's outside."

The woman opened the door, and in stepped Mrs. Matthews, who clutched her son like she had almost lost him. "Oh, sweetie! Are you okay?" Rocking Dylan from side to side, she showered more protective questions on him before Dylan weakly pushed back.

"Where's Bryce? Where's Amber?"

His mother stroked his arms carefully. "Miss Lawson's in the room across the hall. She's fine. She just has a minor concussion."

Dylan swung his legs off the padded bench and stepped carefully to the floor. His legs wobbled, the muscles seeming confused in their function, but Dylan managed to leave the room behind, much to the dismay of his mother, and stumble into a door with Amber's last name on it.

"Hi, Dylan," she whispered, a bruise on the left side of her forehead prominent. A nurse was bandaging it. Ross sat beside her, napping comfortably in the chair.

The man felt breathless. "I'm so sorry," Dylan whispered back, voice coming out hoarse and his head spin.

"Sit down," insisted Mrs. Matthews, who sat Dylan into one of the chairs against the wall. "I'll get you some water, okay?" He nodded, and she turned her back to get a disposable cup from the nearby sink.

"What happened?" Amber finally asked, after Dylan downed his cup of water. "I felt weightless for a second; it was nice. And then I don't remember much."

Dylan ran his hands up the side of his head and ruffled his hair. "I don't know. We were screaming at each other, and then...BAM, hurricane." Someone called his name in the distance, but Dylan didn't think much of it. His hands departing his hair, Dylan rubbed his muscles, feeling a small Band-Aid stuck to him. "Did I get a shot?"

"Yeah, it was, like, a sedative because the situation was – "

It was in that moment Chris burst into the room with Travis and Michael following behind. "Thank God you're okay!" Chris shouted, slamming the door in Travis' face.

Ross awoke when Chris had thrown open the door.

"God, fuck. I think you broke my nose." Travis ran his index fingers across the bridge of his nose and prodded gently.

"Good thing we're at a hospital," Michael whispered quietly.

"This is a nice party," Ross noted happily. "They all here for you?"

Dylan glanced to the three figures, turned to his mother, and then to Amber and asked, "Why are they here?"

She shrugged.