19. Each Soulmate Experiences the Soulmate System Differently; Enjoy it

'He's running late,' Dylan angrily mused, hands rolled into fists as he paced around his flat the following day. 'I'm going to murder him; he said he'd be here by now.' It had actually been a gorgeous day that Saturday, with no cloud cover to reveal a lovely blue sky. But Dylan had been cooped up in his flat for most of it, his food rations dwindling, making plans with Bryce and his flatmates to come over for a movie night. 'He'd better bring the movies, too, or I swear to God – '

At that moment, the door to his flat creaked from knocking; it forced Dylan out of his angry contemplation. He opened the front door to a chorus of "Hey!" from Bryce, Jack, Katie, and Theo.

Dylan stiffly gestured for them to enter. "I'm starving, Bryce. You know this," he spat angrily as he watched Katie pass him.

"You're such a thespian," whispered Bryce as he headed towards the kitchen, though no one heard him.

"That was my fault, sorry," replied Theo, who held up a small Tupperware container, its interior full of aluminum foil, and offered it to Dylan. "I made triple chocolate brownies, if it makes any difference."

Dylan visibly contemplated Theo's excuse before taking the desserts from him. "Chocolate is good, I accept the apology," he whispered before turning his eyes back to Bryce, neglecting to notice the two large grocery bags on Katie's arms. "What's in there?"

"Pizzas," called Katie, who swung the bag in front of her when Dylan turned his head. "Bryce told us your fridge is sad. Also, Jack gets his own pizza because he's a pig."

"Now that's just rude," her Soulmate whined, leaning down and resting his head on her shoulder. "I have a high metabolism."

"Of course you do, luv."

"Be nicer to me," Jack wailed.

Katie smirked and brushed her face against his before withdrawing. "Your stubble hurts my face. No more."

Jack looked distraught. "Why?"

"Oh, Bryce!" called Katie. Bryce leaned over the edge of the counter, waiting for her to continue. "You don't owe me any favours anymore," she announced loudly, throwing her arms up in the air. Dylan's eyes darted between the two out of simple confusion; a quiet "Yes!" was Bryce's response as he retreated back into the kitchen.

"You're still complimenting my cooking for a month," replied Theo. Bryce moaned. "Suck it up," he said, grinning before following Katie to the television in the living room.

Dylan sidled up beside Bryce. "Should I even ask?"

"Nope," his Soulmate replied quickly. "I'll tell you another time."

Dylan smiled wearily and went to retrieve the grocery bags from Katie. Walking back into the kitchen and glancing at Bryce, he asked, "So you have your pans, right?"

"Oh, I bought these cool pizza stones for you," he explained, removing two circular, flat stones from the brown bag placed on the counter. Dylan lifted the grocery bags from Katie, placed them down, and Bryce continued, "So now, we can bake pizza in the oven whenever we want."

Dylan's eyes narrowed. "You were considerate yesterday."

"I didn't realise I had a limit."

Dylan suppressed a smile. "That was dreadful."

Bryce leaned forward on the counter, a smile spreading across his face. "What happened to my being insecure about what other people think?" Bryce asked, teasing.

"What about it?"

"Could it have anything to do with how I want to be perceived?" he asked, eyebrows rising up his forehead. His smile remained.