Chapter 38: Tell me nothing's gonna change

The evening goes by and from the bowling, we go on to the karaoke. Obviously, the boys do great, while Emma and I stick to shouting out the lyrics.

I'm having so much fun. Louis and I get along like a house on fire, and soon we become good friends. He's so fun and outgoing, always with something funny to say.

I notice Harry and Louis have a special connection, which Liam and Harry don't have. Although they're all friends, I can tell that Liam is like the daddy in the group, always trying to maintain control over the situation while Louis is always looking for a way to cause a stir, and Harry just goes with whatever.

Emma and Liam have so much chemistry you can almost touch it. They keep giving each other flirty looks and can barely stay two feet apart.

On the other hand, I'm struggling with Harry. He's really sweet and he's trying so hard, but I still can't get all these worries out of my head. I just need to know what he wants from me, so I can act accordingly.

Still, I act as if nothing is wrong. I don't want to cause a scene in front of everyone, and especially, I want to do things right with Harry.

"Can you remember the last time we did karaoke together?", laughs Louis.

"Was it in Japan?", asks Liam.

"Yes! It was so fun."

"I loved Japan.", adds Harry.

"We had so much fun while touring.", continues Louis, and shakes his head. I feel a tight knot in my stomach as I hear the word 'tour'. Breathe, Layla, breathe. You'll work it out.

"Yeah, although it was so stressful too. Ugh, I'm so happy I get to do it my way now.", mumbles Liam, "With Bear and all... I don't think I could put up with it now."

Bear is Liam's son. He's about two years old and I've seen a few pictures of him. He's so cute!

"Oh, you two are becoming old!", jokes Harry.

"What did you just say?", asks Liam, pretending to be offended.

"Oh, the youth nowadays have no idea what it was like for us.", jokes Louis.

"When I was young", continues Liam, with a cheeky smile, "I used to be able to keep up with the tour lifestyle and I don't even know how."

"Wait, you're going on tour right?", asks Louis, turning towards Harry.

He smiles and nods, "Yes! I'm so excited."

BREATHE. BREATHE. BREATHE.

"Is it going to be a world tour though?"

"Yes, kind of. Bigger than the last one, although there's still a lot of work to do." 

Bigger? Sh*t.

Even though I'm honestly trying to remain calm, I can't stand being here while they have this conversation.

"I need to go to the restroom.", I announce, standing up. 

I need to calm down or I'm going to have a panic attack. 

It's not even such a big deal. Yes, Harry is an international pop star and, of course, he's going to be away a lot. I already knew that.

I feel someone grabbing my hand, so I turn around to see who it is.

"Honey, everything ok?"

"Yes, why are you asking?"

"You don't look so good.", Emma continues, and places her soft hand on my cheek, "You want to talk about it?"

"I just...", I start, but feel my voice tremble, so I close my eyes and focus on not breaking down.

"Hey, hey, hey.", she tries.

She hugs me, which only makes the whole trying not to cry thing harder. Then, she takes my hand and takes me somewhere where the boys can't see us.

"Tell me what's up.", she whispers, brushing my hair behind my ears.

"Harry's going on tour.", I manage to say.

"Yes, baby, but that's not something bad. I'm sure he's used to this and he knows exactly how to do it. You'll work it out."

"You really think so?"

She nods, but just as she's about to say something else, I feel Harry's scent right next to me.

"Layla?"

I immediately recognise the voice. I turn towards him and force a smile.

"We're just talking about girl stuff.", Emma tries, but Harry doesn't seem convinced.

An awkward minute goes by in which both of them stare at me expectantly and I try to make up my mind. Do I want to talk to Harry? 

Finally, I smile at Emma and nod to let her know that I would like her to leave us alone.

"Are you ok?", Harry asks, as Emma leaves.

"Yes, of course."

"Layla.", he frowns and looks me in the eye, "I'm not leaving until you tell me."

I smile

I smile. He's so cute.

"I-", I start, but can't find the words, "It's just a bit overwhelming."

"What is?"

"You, this. I'm just not used to it."

I point towards the rest and look down.

"Oh.", he lifts an eyebrow, "I shouldn't have brought Louis?"

"What? No, I don't mind Louis."

"Is it Liam then? It can be hard to see your friend-"

"It's not Liam.", I interrupt. Harry frown and takes one of his hands to his chin, "Is it me?".

I don't answer, so he takes it as a yes.

"I just have to get used to this, I guess. I've never been with someone like you and I don't know how to act.", I mumble.

"You don't have to act.", he says, paying special emphasis on the last word, "Just be you, like always."

I nod and he leans forward to kiss me.

I don't want to mess this up. I like Harry, and I think Harry likes me back. I shouldn't worry so much. I should just let things flow and see where we end up.