Chapter 1: And we danced all night...

"We're going to be late!", Emma shouts from the kitchen.

I play around with my hair trying to find a way in which I don't look like I can't afford to go to the hairdresser. Finally, I give up and tie it up in a ponytail. Emma storms into the bathroom and looks at me.

"What's taking you so long?"

I shrug and look at myself in the mirror. I'm so nervous I feel like a roller coaster is inside my stomach. This event we're about to go to is really important for Emma and I can't mess it up. Ever since she graduated from University, she's been trying to get a job as an events manager, and we are just about to assist a party with all the big fish in London in the industry. It's her opportunity to make a good impression and, hopefully get a job with one of them.

"I'm ready, let's go", I say, so Emma runs to the door.

We jump in the car and I turn to her with a comforting smile. 

"It's going to be fine. You'll do great". I lean forward to hug her and she hugs me back.

"Thank you". 

You might be asking yourself what's this got to do with me. The answer is nothing. I am only coming with her as her best friend and moral support, to make her feel more comfortable and to wipe her tears in case something goes wrong.

Regarding myself, I've always wanted to be something artistic, a designer or so. However, life had other plans for me. After some years of hopelessly pursuing a career as a fashion designer, I ended up giving up and settling for a job as a waitress in a Mexican restaurant, which smells like sh*t by the way.

We arrive at the event only 10 minutes late, which Emma considers is outrageous. I hold her hand as we walk inside.

"You look beautiful", I whisper, noticing her worried look as she grasps all the people who look as if we were in a beauty contest or a fashion magazine. She smiles at me and takes a deep breath.

"Isn't that Victoria Beckam?", I laugh. She turns to where I'm pointing and opens her mouth with surprise.

"Yes! Oh my god, and that's George Brown!"

"Who?", I frown.

"Oh, he's a very important businessman in the industry. I should probably go introduce myself."

I grab her by the shoulders and whisper, "You've got this, ok?".

She smiles and nods. Alright, time to get something to drink. I walk up to the bar and ask for a glass of white wine. I look around, wondering what fancy drinks all these people around me are getting, and I suddenly feel very intimidated. I don't fit in at all. My handmade dress probably looks shabby next to their Gucci suits, and that ponytail I decided to wear makes me look as if I'd just woken up.

Two hours later, I find myself talking to a very nice lady about her cat when Emma comes up to me.

"Layla?"

"Emma!", I hug her. She has a serious look so I ask, "Is everything ok?"

"I need your help."

I turn to the nice lady and excuse myself. Emma grabs my hand and drags me through the crowd of people towards the restroom. Once in there, she lets go of my hand and leans on the sink.

"I just got offered an awesome job."

"Oh my god!", I scream, bringing my hand to my mouth. However, she doesn't look happy, so I let her go on.

"It's just... I don't know if I'm good enough."

"What? Emma, you're more than prepared for this."

"Will you help me?", she asks with a trembling voice.

"Me?", I take a step back in surprise, "How am I supposed to help you?"

"They said I could get an assistant, and you're the first person that came to my mind. They want me to manage a charity concert, and I could really do with your help. You wouldn't have to do much, just be there with me, answer a couple of calls and make some coffees".

I don't know what to answer. I can't think of any possible way I could be helpful at all in an office. After all, the only proper experience I've got is in a Mexican restaurant, and that's not something an employer would want to see in a curriculum. Oh my god, what about Manuel, my boss? He'll be devastated if I leave...

"But... what about my job?", I mumble.

"Your job? At that Mexican place?"

"Manuel will be really upset..."

"Manuel? Look, Layla, this can be an opportunity to meet people who might be interested in your designs. Do you really want to spend the rest of your life serving tacos?"

"But..."

Ok, I need to make a decision. Why did I have so much wine? It's like my brain has decided to go numb.

"Ok, then do it for me. Please. I'll feel much better if I've got you next to me."

I look at her and can't help to nod.

"Fine, let's do this."

She pounces on me. 

"You're the best best friend ever".