Chapter 13: That's not the way it feels

Today is the big day. I've reached a point in which I'm too tired to care about Emma being b*tchy with me, Helena bragging about how nice her day with Harry was, and, of course, Harry. I can't remember the last time I slept more than 5 hours, and stress is starting to make every single muscle in my body ache.

Since that heated phone call, Harry hasn't talked to me again. At first, I hoped that he would call me or send me a message to explain that it had all been a misunderstanding. But as days went by, I ended up thinking that he's just an arrogant son of a b*tch who can't admit when he's sorry.

"What time should we be there?" I ask Emma.

"3 pm. Don't be late."

"What can I do to help you?", I try, noticing she looks stressed.

"You know exactly what to do. Check everything is in order and don't be late for the event. I know how you are with punctuality."

I smile kindly and nod. She still thinks I don't deserve her forgiveness but I could really do with one of her hugs right now. I can tell she's also struggling, but every time I try to get closer to her she pushes me away.

As hours go by, anxiety starts taking over. I get the feeling I messed up at some point and everything will go wrong because of me and my inexperience. 

I get there five minutes early and spend about half an hour looking for the place where Helena and I are supposed to be during the concert. I've never been backstage at a concert, especially one as big as this one.

"Coffee?", Helena asks.

"Decaf.", I answer, feeling my heart beating too hard already.

As she walks to the coffee machine, I feel my phone buzzing. It's Emma.

"You'd better be here", she grasps.

"Of course I am."

"There's an emergency with the soundcheck. Something about the microphone."

"I'm on my way.", I say, and hang up the phone.

I run out of the room, leaving Helena with a confused gaze, and rush to the stage.

"Layla, finally.", says Lloyd, one of my colleagues, as I walk in. "We need you to find a cable for this microphone."

"A cable?"

"Yes, go ask Mike. He'll know where to find the cables."

"Mike?". I'm so confused. I've got no idea about cables. Lloyd nods and turns around. 

I take a look around. Is that...? Oh my God. Niall Horan is sitting on a stool at the other side of the stage.

"Layla!", shouts Lloyd, waking me from my amazement. Yes, right, Mike, cable.

I rush backstage again and ask for Mike. Once I know where he is, I go as quickly as I can.

"Mike, hi."

He's standing in a busy room, holding a massive sandwich and a cup.

"Hey Layla, what's up?", he smiles.

"We need a cable for a microphone."

"Which kind of cable?".

"I-I don't know.", I stutter. Lloyd didn't tell me to find any specific cable.

"You don't know?", he laughs. "Righ, don't worry about it. I'm on it. Can you watch this for me?"

"Sure."

He hands me his sandwich and cup and walks away. I lean against the wall and watch the room. Nobody else is eating. Where did Mike get this sandwich from? It doesn't look very nice, and it definitely doesn't smell good. I try to look inside but I only manage to dismantle it and make a massive piece of lettuce covered in mayo fall to the ground. Just as I kneel, I realise I can't pick up the lettuce because I don't have any free hands, so I stand up again. Okay, everyone is starting to stare at me. I step on the piece of lettuce and move it towards the wall so at least it's not in the middle of the room. Oh sh*t, now there's mayo everywhere. 

"It's a bit early to have dinner, isn't it?", a familiar voice asks. I feel my face go red as I recognise the man standing next to me. "Or is it a late lunch?"

"Actually..."

"You've got mayo on your shoe", Helena points out, making Harry laugh. I freeze and stand still, without being able to say a word. Why are they both here? And more importantly, why are they here together?

 Why are they both here? And more importantly, why are they here together?

"Come on, Helena. I need to get my hair done."

"Sure, follow me."

"See you around, Layla.", Harry smiles.

"Bye."

They both walk away, and just as they reach the door, Helena looks back at me and winks. Then, she climbs on Harry's arm, and I feel as if a bee had just stung me in my stomach. This was something I definitely didn't want to see.

I watch as they walk away together, cursing Helena in every single way I know. Why the hell is he with her? But especially, I hate the fact that he's so f*cking handsome.

"You ok?", Mike asks. I turn to him and nod.

"Of course."

He smiles and shows me the cable.

"Take this to Lloyd."