"Uplifting huh?"

"Oh sure, nothing like seeing our hard earned taxes going to feed those take it easy pigs"

Something hit him on the head and he turned to see Rythian, holding a stick.

"Why you little punk"

But a hand grabbed Rythian from behind and pulled him back, dragging him down an alley and away from the crowd.

"That's right you better run!"
The man yelled.

"Alright I get it! Stop already!"
Rythian yelled but Zoeya kept dragging him.
Then she threw him against the side of a building.

"Oh great, firewood everywhere!" Rythian complained but Zoeya wasn't listening.

"So...are you still bound to be a scout?"

Rythian stared at her, then sighed.

"Just...help me pick these up."
He mumbled.

「人人人人人」

"Hey, we're home." Rythian called as he and Zoeya entered the house.

"Welcome back kids." his mum said. She was cooking something at the stove.
His dad was sitting at the table, reading the newspaper. Rythian dumped the sticks in a box.

"Wow, somebody worked hard to keep us warm the next few days." his mum smiled, walking over. Rythian shrugged.
She grabbed his ear and he winced.

"What was that for?" He growled.

"Your ear lobs red. Which means you've got something to hide. Zoeya helped you again now didn't she?"
Rythian shrugged and rubbed his ear.

Outside the birds were whistling.

"Hey, where you off to dad?" Rythian asked, taking a seat beside Zoeya at the table.

"A patient?"

"Yes some folks in the interior. I should be back in about a week or so."
Rythian hummed something as he ate his soup. He didn't realise how hungry he had been.

"So umm..." Zoeya mumbled.

"Rythian's thinking about joining the Survey Corps."

Silence as everyone froze.

"Zoeya I told you not to tell them!"

"Get that ridiculous thought out of your head!" Rythian's mum yelled as she stormed over.

"No son of mine is going to be slaughtered. Do I make myself absolutely clear?"

"Stop yelling at me!"
His mum went to say something but his dad interrupted.

"Outside's a nightmare Rythian." he said calmly.

"Yeah but it's gotta be better than this life! I know it's ugly out there, I know there's death around every corner but...we can't just give up on it. Cause otherwise this nightmares never gonna end!"

Silence throughout the house. Even the birds outside stopped chirping.

"I see." his father said calmly.

"Excuse me." he stood up.
"I'll be late for the boat."

"Darling!" His mum yelled, running after him.
"Scold the boy for heavens sake!"

"Scold him?" He smiled, placing a hat on his head.

"Mere words won't hold back the boys curiosity. Rythian! Behave while I'm gone, and I'll let you in on what I've been doing in the cellar, agreed?"