"Thing is, he's talking about a scalpel. We're soldiers, it's a bit different"

Rythian frowned but Zoeya brushed her hand against his.

"We live in a cage. All we do is eat and sleep." Rythian almost whispered.
"We have the piece of mind of livestock."

The patrol laughed again, all taking another swig of beer.

"You were right about the kid having fire" TotalBiscuit yelled.
Another person Rythian had talked to from time to time.

"You coming back to the game or what?"

"Uhh yeah..." Strippin mumbled, and turned to finish the conversation but Rythian and Zoeya had already moved past him.

"Where you going?" He yelled but they were already down the street, still carrying the load of sticks for the fire.

"Rythian, you should let the Survey Corps thing go." Zoeya said breaking the silence.

"Seriously? Why do people think so little of them?"

"It's not what people think of them-"
But she was interrupted by a bell.
"Perfect timing! They're back!"

Rythian yelled and grabbed Zoeya's hand, running towards the crowd gathering at the gate.

Men leading horses, carrying wounded slowly tramped through the gate. Everyone had at least a bandage.

"Sure got a beaten didn't they?"

Someone next to Rythian said.

"Yeah, that's what happens when pride takes you outside the wall"

The smile was wiped from Rythian's face at the sight of it. At least one hundred soldiers set off this morning. Now there were only twenty or so. Heavily wounded.

"Daniel! Daniel!" An old women cried as she ran in front of the squad leader.

"Where is my son? He should be with you all. Oh please tell me he made it."
The squad leader took a moment to look in her eyes before saying;

"I wish I had better news. Give it to her."

A soldier came forward and handed her a pile of bandages. She looked at the squad leader but he was silent.
She unwrapped it slowly.
When she saw the hand, she gasped and covered it again. She began to sob.

"I'm sorry. It's all that was left."
She fell to her knees, clutching the arm to her chest and crying.
The squad leader kneeled down.

"He did good. He was brave."
He tensed up.

"Tell me my son stood his ground to the bitter end." the woman continued.
"That his death meant something. Tell me his sacrifice gave us a better chance!"

Nothing but the wind drifting past.
Silence erupted amongst the crowd.

"He was brave." the squad leader yelled, but he didn't sound convincing.

"But his sacrifice meant nothing. Everyone. The same."

He fist clenched and tears rolled down his cheeks.

"A day was lost and we have nothing!" He yelled.

The women was frozen, her face drenched in her tears.
"Your son died because of me. I sent him to his death. I sent all of them to their deaths. And I have nothing to show for it. All of it for nothing!"

「人人人人人」

After that the wounded squad had moved on and the usual chatter of the crowds settled.