Three are Better Than One

The three sat by the student lounge area waiting for the bell to ring.

"So Emma, tell us about yourself!" Belle said enthusiastically with such a cute Australian accent. Emma looked at her in surprise, or horror, or maybe both. She hated introductions.

"I'm Emma..." Ruby rolled her eyes and huffed while Belle looked at her intently with so much excitement and curiosity in her eyes. "Obviously I'm a nerd." A sly smile spread across Ruby's face. "I love books, yeah."

"Oh me too!" Belle exclaimed and Ruby pouted her lips. "Tell us more!"

"Okay, well I just came in two days ago from Boston."

"I've never been there! How is it like?"

"Old buildings, bicycles, the accent. Things like that." Emma beamed widely at Belle who clasped her hands together. "That sounds wonderful!" Then there was a short silence.

"Hey guys do you get offended easily?" Ruby suddenly asked, breaking the dead air.

"Nope." Belle replied right away. They both looked at Emma and waited for an answer. "Not really."

"Great!" Ruby squealed. "Well Em..." Ruby trailed off.

Em? Only my parents call me that and well I think I like it, Emma thought.

The blonde raised her eyebrows. "I just wanted to ask... Are you a real nerdy nerd or just dressing like one?" Ruby asked and Belle's eyes widened at that. Belle gave her a look and Ruby held up both of her hands in mock surrender.

"Well, I'm just... me?" Emma answered but it sounded more like a question.

"Are you fucking kidding me, Emma? Wait, what's your last name?"

"Swan."

"Are you fucking kidding me, Emma Swan? You look like Katy Perry in..."

"Ruby!" Belle stopped her.

"What? I'm not Willy Wonka I don't sugarcoat things!"

Emma chuckled at the two fighting. She wasn't really offended since it's been asked a hundred times before. "Guys, it's okay." Emma said. "If it makes you happy then I can say I'm a nerdy nerd."

"But you're different..." Belle said sounding unsure. Emma furrowed her eyebrows. "What do you mean? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

"Em, what she's trying to say is that... You're a nerd but you're actually not like one!" Ruby shook her head before continuing. "I mean seriously?! Who would answer back the Queen Bitch and her pawns like that?! You must be crazy!"

"A badass nerd."

"But—"

Ruby cut her off. "Whatever, 'nerdy' Swan, So what have you got for second period?"

"I uhm," Emma said, still not sure of her schedule. She pulled out her timetable and Ruby snatched it from her hands.

"Hey!"

Ruby giggled. "Oh, Chemistry!" The two brunettes checked on the other subjects. "The three of us almost have the same classes except for Values Ed and Foreign Language."

Emma peeked in to see her Foreign Language course. Her eyes widened when she saw French, her most dreaded subject. "No! What the! I hate French! What you got?" Emma protested.

"Español, mi amor." Ruby said playfully and winked. Emma sighed. Why is life so unfair?

The bell rang and the three decided to proceed to their room. Ruby and Belle went side by side with Emma, with their hands clung around the blonde's arms.

"You'll gonna love our teacher!" Belle said happily. "He is..."

"...weird!" Ruby had finished for her.

"No! He's so smart and all," Belle defended the professor as if he was her boyfriend.

"Oh, please Belle. Stop it. Mr. Gold's a creeper!" Ruby objected strongly.

"He is not."

"He is."

"Is not."

"He is!"

Emma thought Belle and Ruby have total opposite personalities but they were like yin yangs; they balance each other through their differences. Emma smiled and said, "Okay guys, stop it. I'll have it figured later okay?" Both of her friends smiled and they strutted their way to the Chem Laboratory.