Chapter 24- The Red Riding Hood And Her Wolf

Start from the beginning

He blinked as he tried to process the information that he had been hit with. Pushing away from the surge of anger, he felt when he realized Hariprakash was attempting to hurt Dhruv. How dare he even have that thought? Then he suddenly, a realization hit him, "So who was with you during your pregnancy?" Shaurya asked as he gathered her into his arms because she was crying now.

She shook her head, and he really hoped that it was because she was trying to say that she didn't want to tell him and not because she was alone. Placing her forehead against his shoulder. He felt her shoulders shake, and each of her sobs felt like a stab at his already wounded heart. "No one. I was all alone. You know Trupti can't take the hospital smell. I was all alone in the labour room too... I need... I... scared.... for you to hold my hand...." she babbled incoherently. But he knew and understood what she was trying to say. She had been alone without any real support. She had given birth and raised Dhruv all on her own. He wrapped his other hand around his shoulders and held her close to himself.

He could feel her soft body slowly melt into him and then became one with him. So much so that he could feel her heartbeat. He could feel the ever tremor and shiver that passed her crying body. Her hot tears soaked through his shirt, and the depth of her sadness and pain seep through his veins. He couldn't believe the strength that his Dhvani possessed. While his life had been burdensome, Dhvani's life had been even more difficult because she had to take care of not only herself but also Dhruv, and she had done such a great job too.

As he continued to hold her and think of possible ways to share her hurt and sadness, she had to face, but he couldn't. Another thing he couldn't control was the hatred he felt towards Hariprakash Mishra. How was it possible that her father was such a vile and self-centred person who could break all ties with his daughter because she chose a husband that was not of his choice? Didn't Hariprakash Mishra always claim that he loved his daughter more than anything in this world? Then how could he be so cruel and heartless to her leave her, a barely 22-year-old girl, all alone in this world to experience the tumultuous journey of pregnancy?

He pulled back but kept his arms wrapped around her, holding her close to him. Pushing her hair away from her face, he tried to study her face. When she finally looked up at him, it felt like he had taken an ice-cold fist to his gut. "I am sorry." He said to her as he rested her forehead against hers, and he really was. He should have known better, especially when he was aware of what kind of man her father really was. How could he let his ego get in the way of him and Dhvani? He knew the inhibitions and concerns she had, but all he had expected was for her to believe and trust him. He should have taken the time to sit her down and talk to her instead of closing himself off.

She sniffled and used the back of her hand to wipe her nose. "I am sorry." He repeated as he kissed her tears away. "I am sorry."

"I am sorry too." She whispered and raised her hand to play with the button of his t-shirt. "I really should have trusted you. I am sorry that I didn't stand up to my father when he made those snide and rude comments about you and your father." she took a deep breath. "I was a terrible wife. All I wanted was my father's approval. And I let that want overpower everything in my life, even our relationship."

He shook his head. "I was a terrible husband too. I should have taken more effort to explain everything to you. To tell you that Priya didn't mean anything more than a friend to me. You are the only woman I loved and wanted. Ever."

She looked up at him with the same determination and vulnerability as she did when she first gave him the greeting card to confess her feelings. "Then why did you sleep with her, and you still kept in touch with her?"

Shaurya, who was stroking her back, stopped his movement and looked at her like she had slapped him. He was about to take a defensive step back, but then remembered why they were in this situation in the first place. "Dhvani," he began softly. "It didn't mean anything." He explained and she scoffed involuntarily and tried to walk away, but he didn't let. He let her walk out on him and their relationship once, but he wouldn't let her do that again. Never again. "I had come back from Baba's funeral, feeling utterly lost. It felt like there was no purpose in my life. I tried to be a good son and husband but couldn't become either. I was so drunk that night that I didn't even realize what I was doing. I just someone to be with and.....God, I was stupid. I am sorry. It didn't mean anything at all. After that, I haven't ever been with anyone. Couldn't be with anyone that wasn't you," he confessed. "All these photos and videos you see are nothing. I swear trust me."