Chapter 20- Bruises and Balms

After eating ice cream, they had gone to play soccer at a ground that Shaurya had rented. Dhruv had been overjoyed at the prospect of playing on such a big field, and he and Shaurya being the only ones playing. Dhvani sat on the benches watching the father-son play soccer with a small smile on her face. She was happy seeing her son this happy. Seeing Shaurya so carefree and being so expressive of his happiness was a pleasant surprise. When he was younger, he was always so restrained and non expressive, but it was nice to see him be so free.

"Mumma!" Dhruv screamed and ran towards his mother. "You come and play with us too." He said as he tugged at her arm.

"No, baby." She used the tissue from her bag to wipe Dhruv's face. "You play."

"Did you see the goal I scored?" Dhruv asked.

"Yes! So cool. My baby is the best." She said as she pulled him closer and placed a kiss on his cheek.

Shaurya approached them with a smile and plopped himself beside Dhvani on the bench. Her body language turned guarded when Shaurya's arm brushed against hers.

"Mumma, all three of us will play."

Dhvani shook her head and opened her mouth to disagree, but Shaurya beat her to it. "Leave it, Dhruv. Your Mumma is a scaredy chicken. She is too afraid to lose."

"I am not scared!" She snapped.

"Really?" He taunted as he sipped on the water bottle that the field provided.

"Yeah! Remember, I beat you that one time when we played soccer." She reminded him of that time when they were playing soccer on a rainy night.

"I let you win." He clarified.

"Yeah! That's what losers say. I won that night. Fair and Square." She said, folding her arms to glare at her.

"Then what's stopping the champion from playing now?" He snickered.

"Fine." She stood up and removed her jacket. "Let's play!"

"Yay!" Dhruv raised his arms and yelled. "Mumma, you and Shaurya in one team and me alone." He announced and ran towards the field.

Dhvani panted as she doubled over and took deep breaths.

"Dhvani, at least try pretending like you are trying to stop him. That kid is beating both of us." Shaurya laughed as he jogged up to her just as she sat down on the green grass. "You are so unfit." He teased and sat down beside her.

"He runs so fast." She panted. "And I don't play professionally for me to work out okay. So unfit." She said the word unfit in a mocking tone.

"He has gotten all this stamina from you." She said as she got up. Then looking at Shaurya, she saw him smirking and then realized he had twisted her words into a sexual innuendo.

"What are you? A seventeen-year-old teenager?" She huffed, ignoring the blush rising in her cheeks.

Dhruv ran full speed towards them and lunged towards Dhvani in an attempt to hug her. But the way Shaurya and Dhvani were sitting, the force knocked Dhvani into Shaurya.

Dhruv sat on his mother's lap and wrapped his arms around both Dhvani and Shaurya, surprising both of them.

"I am so happy!" He exclaimed happily.

Dhvani and Shaurya smiled as they patted him on the back.

The game resumed with Dhvani and Dhruv teaming up against Shaurya as per Dhruv's demands.

"Aah!" Dhvani yelped when Shaurya accidentally pushed past her causing her to fall on the ground.

"Dhvani!"