The smirk happens before I can stop it. "You were jealous."

"Wholeheartedly," she grumps, not bothering to grab a spoon as she sticks her finger in the container and scoops some icing into her mouth. "And when I told Leon about it, the little shit said he was going to do it! What the hell, man!?"

I try really hard not to laugh, really hard, but in the middle of getting another finger-full of icing, she puffs out her cheek, much like Kay does when she doesn't get her way, and it's too much. "You—are—so—great," I breathe out, holding my stomach. "Never knew—you were—the jealous type."

"You know what?" she grouches. "I hate you."

I snort, but can't retort because I'm laughing so hard.

"This is a serious matter, Cupcake," she snaps, throwing the closest thing—in this case, the salt shaker—at me.

Salt flies through the air, covering the floor, and I narrowly miss the container, ramming into the counter.

"But come on, Nik! This is a historical moment—" I'm interrupted by the pepper shaker hurling at my head. "Alright, alright, point taken. What happened after that?"

"Naturally, I glared at him until he relented, and you know what he did? Do you even know?" She was still glaring, as if daring me to answer, so I kept my mouth shut, trying to keep from giggling. "He started laughing! Can you believe it!? The prick was enjoying my annoyance as much as you are!"

I grin. "So, what, it was just an entire fiasco to show how much you two are into each other already?"

Her face flushes as she glares into the fudge. "Not really."

"It was! You were jealous of a woman that wanted him to walk her home, and he was probably laughing because you're cute when you're jealous." I pause. "When you're not trying to decapitate me with salt and pepper, of course."

"Just wait until you get hot and heavy with some guy," she threatens. "You can bet I'm going to be on the sidelines, tormenting you. Just you wait."

I snicker. "Because that'll ever happen."

"I don't know, Cupcake. You and Calvin could happen," she says, grinning mischievously.

"No thank you," I say, shaking my head. "I think I'll stick to being single."

"For now." The grin is now bordering maniac.

"Anyway," I say quickly, changing the subject. "Why are you here?"

"Oh, right." She puts down the icing, looking at me. "What happened at school today—er, I guess it would be yesterday, wouldn't it?"

I blink. "What do you mean?"

"I got a random text from you that said you were okay and Kaiser and Gibson were overreacting—whatever the hell that means—and then Calvin informed us you and Chase were together all afternoon on some sort of scavenger hunt!" Her voice is clearly accusing me of not telling her how Chase and I got so close.

I roll my eyes. Of course Calvin doesn't mention that we were trying to find him. "It's not what it seems like."

"Oh really? So you and the hot professor weren't shacking up?"

"What does that even mean?" I shake my head. "You know what? Don't tell me."

"Explain, woman!"

I sigh. "Calvin didn't show up to school yesterday. Chase offered to go looking for him with me since Leon would kill me if he found out I went off by myself. End of story."