18 | Culprit

*MC holds up a hand* Undermining the severity of attempted rape happens near the end, along with just a lot of dick muffinness in general. Cupcakes' discretion is advised~

 Cupcakes' discretion is advised~

— 18 —

I'm sitting in Leon's truck, trying ridiculously hard to focus on the conversation he and Nikki are having.

There's no way, under any circumstances, that I'm thinking about Chase Kingsley anymore.

Mainly because ever since he jumped out of my window, I haven't been able to get him out of my head.

What was his problem anyway? I mean, I understand that he warned me away from Darestin for a reason, but nothing happened between us—aside from that kiss—so what could have possibly set him off? Unless it's the kiss itself? But that doesn't make sense. It's not like it's that important. Darestin basically admitted that he was just screwing around like Calvin does when he gets bored, so it's not like it meant anything.

How about I show you just how wrong you are, killer?

I sigh, leaning on the window.

And Darestin, trying to prove something about Chase, only to explain nothing. What does kissing me prove? Last time I checked, the only time kissing does anything is when the people involved are either into it or totally against it, and both of us were pretty indifferent. Besides, even if Darestin is attractive, it was like kissing my brother.

If my brother was some unknown paranormal creature.

I groan, rubbing my temples. So much for not thinking about it. My mind's just going in the same circles it's been going in since Chase left.

"—cake?" a voice interrupts my thoughts.

I blink, coming back to Earth, and meet a confused Nikki.

"What's wrong, Cupcake?" she repeats.

I stare at her, unsure of how to answer. To be honest, another struggle I've had about this whole thing is what to tell everyone. I don't want to say anything about Chase's... nature without his permission, but, at the same time, I don't know what to do about all of this by myself. Though, I guess if I spun it correctly, I wouldn't have to tell them everything... and with the amount of relationships Nikki's had, I'm sure she'd know.

Letting out a breath, I take a chance and ask her. "Why would someone be upset about someone kissing someone?"

She snorts. "You're going to have to be a little more specific, Cupcake."

I sigh. "Like, let's say a...a friend you know kissed another guy. Why would that bother you?"

"Depends on the person they're kissing," she answers automatically. "If the person has a bad reputation or I know something's up with them, I'd be worried that they're making a mistake."