quarante

It was a blur of excitement and movement, a blur of anticipation and slow creeping fear and worry that mingled with a terrible sense of foreboding doubt that couldn't be chased away, and Roman let it all linger distantly in her mind as she watched them stage fights and learn whatever Jasper was trying to teach them.

She didn't mean to nod off, not really, but it was late and she didn't have the means to stay up all hours of the night, and so, yeah, she might have fallen asleep with her head pressed to Bella's shoulder as they waited for Edward to join them once more.

It was late morning when she woke up, sprawled across Edward's bed, tangled messily in the sheets with her hair sticking to her face.

The sun cast a terribly bright light despite being hidden behind the clouds, unforgiving as she slowly blinked herself awake -- rolling from the bed to land on the floor with a loud thump. It was effective in getting herself fully away, at least, even if she had to throw herself from the bed to do it.

Esme was helping her to her feet immediately, a worried frown tugging at her lips. Warmth burst through her, spreading in a flurry of tingles as she faces the motherly woman, happiness radiating.

"Good morning," she chirps, smiling sleepily. "What time is it?"

"Much earlier than we thought you would be up," she tells her, and Roman lets herself lean into her arms with a bright grin. "Come, I'll make you breakfast."

Her stomach growls, telling her how hungry she actually was and she tries to think back to the last time she had an actual meal. Before the party, for sure, and even then, she didn't eat much when she was with Sue and the pack. Something about being so excited making her appetite quite small.

They went to the kitchen at a human pace, slow compared to what she expected from vampires, and she was sure it gave the others plenty of time to disperse if they wanted because she didn't see one of them as she went through the house.

At least everything was cleaned and returned to normal. There was no sign of a party having ever taken place.

Esme small casual small talk as she moved around the kitchen, a cookbook opened unnecessarily on the counter. The woman didn't look to it once.

"Edward, of course, would never admit to it," she says softly, conspiratorially. "But he checks on your my space all the time. You use your account much more than Bella does, and you post things quite often."

Roman giggles. "That's nice, though. I like knowing that he keeps track of me whenever I'm not around -- even if he knows everything that I'm going to post."

"Yes, it makes it easy for us to tell our friends about you, as well. Our family in Denali are much more knowledgable of you than they are of Bella because of your account."

The information is startling, for some reason. She didn't have any other family that she knew about so no one had ever wanted to brag about her to anyone before in her life. She didn't mind knowing that the Denali cousins would have seen every stupid joke or awkward picture, she was oddly proud of it -- knowing that they considered her family enough to tell others that she was permanent.

And really, she was part of the family, now, their family, and it was such a thrilling thought, such a giddy idea that it burst in her heart and washed through her.

"So, do you, uh, know what they thought?" she asks, thanking her when she set down a plate of pancakes.

Esme smiles warmly, catching her hand from across the counter. "They think you're going to be a wonderful addition to the family. As do we."