I Want You To Be Happy

Start from the beginning

"I am not Lilith."

Belphie gave a humorless snort, muffled by the table. "Couldn't tell."

"I'm not her. I never will be. I didn't even know she existed until the pillow incident. Which, I still am sorry for. You'll never be able to replace someone as dear as a sister. But I never did replace her. You know that."

"I hang out with everyone because I enjoy their company, and they enjoy mine, because, believe it or not, people can make new friends. People don't have to stay stuck in the past like you do." The boy did not move.

"Your anger, your resentment against me, all of it has nothing to do with me at all. You're hurt. You're angry at Lilith for leaving you, even though you know it isn't her fault. You're angry that the others, including Beelzebub, seemed to have moved on from her. By adding another member to the group, it's as if I took her spot. But I didn't. None of them see me as her. I am my own person and their friend. The only one who sees me as her, is you."

Belphegor's head snapped up at their last statement. He lunged across the table, tackling them to the floor and pinning them under his weight, crushing their ribcage. Their arms were effectively trapped. He grabbed the front of their uniform jacket, pulling their face up to his. "How dare you... HOW DARE YOU! You're a real arrogant piece of work, aren't you? I ought to kill you myself right here."

"You're stuck in the past! You can't fucking accept life moves on and things change. People change! You haven't grown at all! Lilith's death put you in a rut, and now you're desperate to drag your family down, too, because you're so damn afraid of change, because you can't learn to be happy yourself. You don't want to lose anymore- UGH!"

Belphegor socked them across the jaw, their head whipping back against the floor, making them dizzy. "SHUT UP!" He delivered another blow to their temple, disorienting them more. "YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT! STOP ACTING LIKE IT!"

"GOD FUCKING DAMMIT! STOP BEING SUCH A COWARD AND ACCEPT YOUR FAMILY IS MOVING ON!" A slap to the cheek. "AGH- fuck, you'll just make everyone miserable if you keep this up!" A punch to the nose. "NGH... It doesn't have to be this way, Belphie... I want you to be happy..." A slam of their head to ground. They went quiet, finally beaten unconscious. Belphegor stumbled away from their body, wincing as his head it the edge of the table. His hands were shaking violently, and his breathing was erratic as he stared at MC. It reminded him of something. Someone.

Flashback

Belphegor and Beelzebub were sobbing in the backseat of a car. Their father was in the driver's seat, ignoring the speed limit and running every red light to reach the hospital in time. In their lap, was their little sister, Lilith. Her breathing was faint and her face was pale, with dry tear streaks still on them. They just wanted to go out for ice cream. How could this all have gone so wrong?

They were sitting in the parlor, enjoying their favorite flavors as their father made a horrible attempt to braid his daughter's long hair. It was so peaceful, so right. The moment shattered when a bunch of teenagers ran into the shop, giggling, clearly drunk off their asses. One of the boys, who couldn't have been older than 17, pulled out a gun.

"Aye yo! This is a robbery! Put ya hands up and gimme all the money in the regista'!" The workers frantically handed everything over to the laughing crowd of hoodlums. Lilith was so terrified, just burst into sobs. Their father did their best to silence her, but the boy with the gun whirled around, pointing it at the little girl.

"Oi! Shut up ya damn brat!" Their father urged her harshly to do as he says, but she was so young. She couldn't have stopped. She was so scared.

"You don't wanna? Well I ca-" BANG.

In his drunken state, the teenager was waving the gun around. He accidentally pulled the trigger, and shot the girl straight through the stomach, into her spine.

The teenagers sobered up quickly at the realization of what happened and immediately fled the scene. The family wasted no time afterwards trying to get to the emergency room.

"Lilith! Keep your eyes open! We're almost there!" Beel was too choked up to say anything. He could only watch as their sister's blood soaked through their jeans.

"Belphie... Beel... Daddy... I had a lot of fun today."

"Don't talk!"

"It's ok. You don't need to cry, Belphie. I want you to be happy. Learn to be happy yourself, without me." She smiled up at him. "Be happy for me, all of you."

That was the last thing she had ever said to him.

Present

Belphegor came back to reality, staring wordlessly at MC's unconscious figure. His entire body wracked with sobs. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

He curled up into his knees, remaining in that position until the door opened once more.