↘︎ chapter twenty-eight

Start from the beginning

"What's he talking about, Mom?"

Brielle looked at Sirius with a face that clearly indicated that she had no good intentions for him. There was a flame in her green eyes, her hands clenched in fists. Sirius looked neither haughty nor triumphant. Snape was just staring at the three adults when revival came over his cold face.

"Potter!" he exclaimed with a strong British accent, and the four children looked at each other in confusion. Harry thought that he had done something and was about to start talking, but Hermione, whose eyes were full of tears, hit him into his ribs with her elbow. "He's the father of the girl, right?"

"Of course it is, Snivellus." said Sirius with evil grin, directed at the Potions master. "Right my deer Hoofy? You have to tell your daughter the truth about her father. You need to stop keeping her in nescience."

"Potter? Potter like James Potter?" Marley's voice was shaking with emotions. So he was her father, after all. It was so obvious and she had found all the evidences, but after discovering that Noelle Black had a twin, who was Marley's father, everything turned against her. So that's why her mother choked on her wine last Christmas when Fred and George came to Wales, after telling her she was a Chaser in the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Because James Potter was a Chaser and her father. "But that's impossible, I mean, he is Harry's father, right? It just can't be true."

Why did she continue to deny it after she was almost convinced he was her father? Did that explain her concern for Harry over the last year? Marley's gaze met that of the other boy, but they didn't say a word. Hermione was already sobbing and was close to Ron, who had embraced her amiably over her shoulder.

"Actually, I think it's not impossible." said Professor Lupin with quiet voice. "At least that explains the reason why you left with no clue. Which year was it, Brie? '78?"

"Yes," replied Brielle with clenched jaw. Then she looked at her daugther, but she was looking indifferently at her mother. Why was she hiding that from her for fifteen years? She never wanted that much. Just to know who her father was. "It happened in the summer of '78. When I found out I was pregnant with James's child, I realised there was no safe place for the baby and had to run away and hide for the good of everyone. It was only about the prophecy..."

"What prophecy?" asked Marley and Harry at the same time, but they didn't get an asnwer for that.

"You'll know when it's the right time." snapped sharply Brielle, her eyes filled with tears. "I didn't know what to do, Marley. I had no choice. I wanted  so much to protect you and the best way was to fake my death, so no one will ever know. But apparently it did."

Everyone was silent, and only Hermione's sobs broke the silence. Poor girl. She was pretty sensitive. But Marley was so angry now that she just wanted to scream and hex everyone in this room, go back to common room and cry by morning. She felt powerless and her face was red. There were tears in her eyes, but she looked down at her wand, which she saw blurred.

"You must've told me, mother." she spoke to her mother for the first time with so much hatred. She cannot stand that this time she was hiding all this. "What else are you hiding from me, mother? When were you going to tell me that godmother Noelle was a twin with my father? When are you going to tell me about Ernie Macmillan with whom we seem to have a family relationship that I don't even suspect? When will you stop lying to me..."

"Sweetheart..." and suddenly Brielle froze on her place. "What? Who is Ernie Macmillan?"

"Oh, don't pretend you don't know who is he!" shouted Marley and the tears were streaming down her cheeks. The girl sniffled. Now all she wanted to do was to get out of here. She was tired, her head ached, and she needed sleep. She wasn't physically ready to continue that conversation. The girl didn't want to know how far her mother could go. Marley preferred to leave and leave them alone. And that's exactly what seemed like a very good idea to her. She slowly moved away from her seat and walked forward, passing absolutely everyone. She stepped out into the tunnel and walked slowly along it, managing to remember the path. Behind her there were shouts and how each one did various spells, until they finally faded away and nothing was heard.

She was glad no one followed her. She had no idea how long she had been wandering around in the dark tunnel, but she finally saw the light and walked up the narrow tunnel. And here she is, at the thick roots of the Whomping Willow. She pressed the knag and the branches stopped swinging. The tears were dry on her cheeks, but she knew they would be back soon. It was already very dark outside, and Marley was in a hurry to get back to the castle because she didn't want any dementors to notice her.

The corridors were empty because оf the curfew, imposed because of Sirius Black, which had passed a long time ago. She quickly went to the portrait of the Fat Lady, finally returning after the annoying knight Sir Kadogan was there, constantly changing the passwords.

Marley walked into the common room hoping it was empty, but she immediately heard her friends' voices. And first she heard George Weasley's voice, who sounded furious.

"What do you mean you haven't seen her in an hour?" he was speaking on loud voice and Fred was there, Angelina and Lee too. But they haven't noticed Marley coming yet.

"She told me she forgot something at the Great Hall, George." cried Angelina and she was nearly crying. Her beautiful eyes were filled with tears. "I have no idea where she might go, I just hope Black didn't catch her."

Only with the mention of Black Marley's eyes fillеd with tears and she began to sob again, unable to stop her emotions and pain. And just then the others noticed her because the voices stopped.

"Marley! You're all right!" exclaimed Angelina and for a moment she sounded happy until she noticed her best friend's crying. "Hey, what happened?"

Marley had her head bowed, blood on her hands, and dust and dirt on her face. Her hair was streaked, but she didn't care. She walked slowly forward as the tears wet her cheeks. She heard slow steps toward her and only noticed the familiar figure of George. She simply wrapped her arms around his waist and continued to cry. She needed that. George just stroked her hair.

"Mar, I have no idea what the bloody hell happened, but I promise you, if someone dare to hurt you, he's gonna meet my bat."

Marley laughed bitterly and sniffled. He was always making her feel better, no matter of the circumstances. Her cheeks flushed even more. As they separated from the embrace, George's arm remained friendly across her shoulder, so she could calm down. Marley didn't mind. Everyone went and sat on one of the sofas.

"Tell us what happened, Marley." said quietly Fred, sitting opposite Marley. She hesitated. At this point, she couldn't tell them everything she wanted to tell them. She still couldn't, but she would. It just wouldn't be right now.

"I can't." she licked her lips nervously and all of her friends shared confused looks. "Look, I really want to tell and I will. I just can't right now. And no, George, Sirius didn't attack me, I promise. It happened something else."

"I understand you." Angelina smiled sadly and took Marley's hand. The girl was glad she had such friends by her side. "Boys, she need space and time. She's just in shock and she'll tell us when she's ready."

"Thank you." whispered quietly Marley, a shy smile touching her lips. She wasn't crying anymore and she seemed to have a good time for the next five minutes, until someone entered the common room - professor Snape. What the hell he was doing in here?

The professor seemed furious, looking at Marley fiercely from time to time. Apparently since she was Potter, that automatically meant she would be hated even more by Snape. Yet what was he doing in Gryffindor's common room?

"Ms. Potter. Come with me right now." he said with icy voice and on her friends faces ran confusion.

"Potter? What the--" Lee started, but Snape interrupted him enraged.

"You little brother is in trouble and if you don't come, I'll put you in more trouble." he shouted. "Now, stand up from the shitty sofa and come with me to the hospital wing. NOW."

"Wait me here. Be right back." Marley secretly rolled her eyes and stood up from the sofa, following professor Snape outside.