Chapter 14

Nicki's Point of View:

I woke up to my alarm clock. My head kind of hurt. I look around my bed. I don't remember going into my room. Then I saw a flash. I was trying to kiss Evan and he stopped me. Oh that's embarassing. There was a knock on my door.

"Come in?" I said quickly - just to make knocking stop.

"How are you?" Jake asked, walking into my room.

"What are you talking about?" I replied - this was a weird quesiton.

"When I got home last night Evan said you felt sick and just wanted to sleep." Jake finished. I stared at him, confused momentarily. I suddenly realized that Evan had covered for me.

"Right." I said, catching on. "Um I feel better now." I said. Jake looked uncovinced and disbelieving.

"Really - it was just -" he raised his eyebrows waiting for my excuse.

"Cramps." I finished with a smile. "It sucks being a girl." Jake rolled his eyes. I laughed as he hurried to get out of my room, in fear of hearing anything else he didn't want to. I'm pretty pleased with that excuse - it got him out my room without further questions!

When I got dressed and got downstairs I called for Jake. There was no answer. I ran to the garage and his car was gone. Is this a joke?

I ran back into the kitchen, grabbed the house phone and started punching in Jake's phone number. As it rang, my eyes caught something sitting on the kitchen counter. My keys. I dropped the phone and practically sprinted to my keys. There was a note.

Jake told us. Here are your keys. Don't make any more bad choices.                                                                              - Mom

I stared at the note a little while longer. She would add that little reminder on at the end. But I'm just too happy to care. I have my baby back. I hurried to the garage and turned on my car. I pulled out onto my driveway and as I was looking behind me, to make sure it was safe to back onto the street - I saw Matt leaving as well. I stepped on the brake. In my rearview mirror I could see Matt looking at me - or at least in my direction. I closed my eyes and waited for his car to pass. 

This is never going to end. He lives next to me. I am going to see him a lot - I can't be miserable forever. A guy can't just destroy me like this. I opened my eyes. Matt's car was gone.

I pulled out of my driveway and drove to school. I was sitting at a red light, completely zoning out when suddenly, people behind me started honking. I came back to reality. The light was green. I slammed on the gas. That's when decided I had to talk to Matt. Even if it was just to yell at him. I needed closure. And I wasn't getting it.

I reached the school and parked my car. 

"Matt," I yelled - my throat tightened as I said his name. He was just getting out of his car and his head snapped up to find the direction from which his name was yelled from. His eyes finally landed on me in disbelief. I could feel tears starting to form

No! Not now. Please not now - just wait.

Matt walked over - we were near the school building - but we were alone because school had just started and everyone was in class.

"Hey." he said staring into my eyes. I missed those deep green eyes studying me. I shook that feeling off. 

"You said you wanted to explain." I said quietly - remembering that he said something along those lines, some time ago. He nodded and looked down for a moment. Then back into my eyes.