Chapter Twenty

And we have reached the Big Drama! Sort of. You'll see what I mean. (The gif above sends me every time omfg I love it, legit in tears right now)

"-sure I failed the test. I just could not focus, I don't know why." Jason finished his rant about how terrible his day at school was to Damian as they walked out of the school gates.

"That sounds rough. I'm getting second hand embarrassment just from hearing that P.E. story." Damian hummed in sympathy.

"Yeah, well, try being the one living it first hand." Jason snorted. "It was not fun. Zero out of ten, do not recommend."

Damian chuckled and the two brothers fell into a comfortable silence as they maneuvered their way through the streets of Gotham. Jason kept a protective hand on Damian's shoulder so he wouldn't lose him in the crowd and so people would know not to mess with them.

Jason's phone started ringing when they reached a cross walk. Damian eyed him pointedly. "Aren't you going to answer that?"

"I know its a blocked number."

Damian felt a chill run down his spine. "Jay, its probably-"

"Mother, I know. But every time I answer, she hangs up immediately. And like you said, I need to stop being her 'loyal lap dog'. Besides, she's locked up in prison, what's the worst she can do from there for me ignoring her prank calls?" Jason's smirk was meant to give off an air of confidence, but Damian could see the slight wobble and anxiety through it.

Ignoring Talia was stressing him out.

Damian sighed. "Jay, answer the phone. Mother has resources, who knows what she can do?"

Jason's eyes flashed with something unrecognizable. He nodded wordlessly, pulling his phone out and pressing the accept button on the phone call. "Hello?"

"..."

"Hello?"

"..."

"Mother, is this you?"

"...try to ignore me again, and there will be consequences."

Jason felt his blood run cold. "W-what are you talking about?"

"Listen to your brother, Jason. I have resources."

The line went dead.

Damian looked at Jason with wide, anxious eyes as the call had been on speakerphone. "What are we going to do?"

Jason was quiet for a moment before he wrapped an arm around Damian's shoulder. "We, my dear Dami, are going to go find you the cutest little kitten at the shelter. One so adorable, Selina has no choice but to say yes and let you keep them."

Damian frowned. "That's not what I-"

"That's what we're going to do." Jason smiled tightly at his little brother, pulling him in the direction of the animal shelter.

They continued their journey, this time in a tense silence. Luckily for the both of them, the animal shelter wasn't too much further away.

The bell above the door rang as soon as they opened the door, announcing their arrival. An attendant stood up from behind the counter and smiled at the two brothers. "Well, hello there! What can I help you boys with today?"

"We'd like to see your selection of cats, please." Jason gave the older woman a charming smile, causing the middle aged lady to stammer over her next words.

"W-well, if you'd follow me right this way, I will gladly show you our cats."

"Great! Thanks!"

The two brothers followed after the shelter worker through the selection of dogs and other assorted animals before they got to the section dedicated to cats. The worker turned to Damian and Jason, gesturing to the crates that lined the walls. "Here we are! Feel free to take a look around and if you have any questions, you know where to find me."

"Will do, thank you." Jason turned back to Damian, motioning for him to start looking at and playing with the cats. "You have free reign, Dami. Go and find your perfect pet."

Damian tried to contain his excitement as he eyed the felines, giddiness bubbling up inside him. "I-I don't know where to start."

"Here, how about I start at one end on one wall and you start on the opposite, sound good?" Damian nodded and the two brothers got to work.

They were there for an hour and a half when Damian let out a soft gasp. "Jay, I found the perfect cat. Come look at him." Jason went over and sat down next to Damian, seeing the small black and white cat cradled in his younger brother's lap. Damian looked up with wide and excited eyes. "Its him. This is the one I want- no, the one I need."

Jason let out a soft chuckle. "Alright, I'll let the attendant know to place this kitty on hold until we get back with dad and Selina."

Twenty minutes later the brothers were making their way towards their home, deciding to walk and get some fresh air despite the long distance. After some time of walking, they gave up on that idea and hailed a cab.

"Wayne manor, please." Jason instructed the driver, settling in the back seat with Damian.

After about fifteen minutes, they were pulling up outside the gates of Wayne manor. Jason handed over the cash for cab ride and thanked the driver before he and Damian started the trek up the long driveway.

The instant they entered the manor, they knew something was off. Their first clue was that it was quiet. The manor was never quiet, even in the middle of the night, someone was always up walking around.

Their next clue was that Alfred didn't greet them, which was alarming after all the time they had spent there.

And the final clue was a piece of paper stuck to the wall next to the coat wrack with their names on it. Jason snatched it and read it, his confusion only growing. "Selina wants us to meet the family in the library? I wonder what for."

Damian shrugged. "We better go find out. But this is the perfect opportunity to bring up Alfred the cat."

Jason snorted. "That's what you decided to name the kitty?"

Damian nodded. "He reminds me of Pennyworth."

Jason shook his head fondly, leading the way towards the library. They stopped outside, unsure whether they should announce their presence before entering. "Hey guys, we're here."

"Come in." Helena called back, her voice sounding strained.

Damian and Jason exchanged a look. "Maybe they are playing that weird acrobatic game, tornado, was it?"

"Twister."

"Ah, yes."

They entered the library and walked towards the small gathering area where the fireplace was. They saw the whole family sitting there rigidly, staring into the fire with wide eyes. All except one.

"Where's father?"

"Right here."

Damian and Jason whipped around, paling at the sight before them. Bruce stood there with a cut on his eyebrow and a black eye. But worst of all, standing next to him with a hand on his bicep and a gun pointed to his head was the person they least expected but probably should have suspected the most.

"Mother."