Last

As the day dawned bright and cold, they left the place, only to find that the final war has been declared and that all the remaining male soldiers needed to leave, may be for forever.

All the men assembled behind Sodhi in a line excluding the injured ones. And the women of the regiment were ordered to take away the injured soldiers back.

Maya and Sodhi stared each other for the very last time, as all the soldiers started chanting the slogan of “Jai Hind” to give the farewell to the great warriors.

It would not have been more than half an hour since the soldiers left and the sound of gun shots and bomb explosions were clearly heard, which indicated that the battle has begun.

After 3-4 hours, when the sound of bomb explosions started to decrease, Maya got the feeling that something is not right and she immediately left in search for the men, especially her man. But as she reached, she found that almost all the soldiers were killed and remaining (including Sodhi) were taken away by the British Army. Dejected, she went back.

Meanwhile, Sodhi and the remaining soldiers were taken to the prison of Old Delhi, India and were imprisoned. They were awarded with the title of ‘Gaddar’.

After 50 years,

After getting bailed from prison, Sodhi tried to search for Maya everywhere but he was only rewarded with failure. He lost all the hopes, then one day he came across a girl named Rani, who claimed herself as the granddaughter of Maya.

Sodhi: You are really Maya's granddaughter? She got married? Where is she now?

Rani: Nahi sir, unhone shaadi nahi ki. Woh toh aapse khud se bhi zyada mohobbat karti thhi. Unhe, aapke siwa koi bhi gawara nahi thha.

(No sir, she did not got married. She loved you more than herself to think about getting married to a person, who's not you.)

Sodhi: Toh phir aap?

(Then you?)

Rani: Yahan par rehne waale hum sabhi bacche unhe dadi kehkar he pukaarte hain.

( All the children residing over here, calls her as Dadi only).

Sodhi: Mujhe poori baat batao,beta.

(Tell me everything, child).

Flashback ~

No, Maya did not married. Instead, she decided to stay near the forest area only because it made her feel happy, content and most importantly, she felt that she is surrounded with Sodhi's memories. Also, indeed that was a special place for since she found her true love there.

Maya decided to build a place nearby to the cave and started teaching young children. She was imprisoned many a times for opposing government rules, which she didn't found much important to follow.

Years passed by and the children living their, started addressing her as Dadi.

Flashback ends

Sodhi: Kya tum mujhe Maya ke paas lejaa sakti ho?

(Can you take me to Maya?)

It was then, Rani informed Sodhi about passing away of Maya, a few days back with just one last wish to see Sodhi.

Sodhi burst into tears, hearing the news. And it was around one month, on Maya’s birthday, that he also left this world to be with Maya, at a better place.

_______________________________________

Thank you so much guys for your support !
Especially,
thegirlnextdoor7781
pastries_coffee
soumyavk
JyeshthaMalviya

Love,
Nehal !❤️