Scene 5: New Connections (POV: Irene + Shad)

Começar do início

I reached out and lifted his wounded arm gently.

Shad didn't move, but stared at me questioningly. "Huh? What are you doing? Is this some kind of game? Let me go!"

Before Shad could move, I quickly responded, "I'm here to help."

"Huh?"

I closed my eyes and brought up what little power I had left. My head tried to warn me against the action I was about to take, filling my body with throbs of pain, but I ignored it.

A bright light flashed against my closed eyelids.

Shad grunted, "What the... How did you?"

And in an instant, I passed out.

Shad

Seeing Irene suddenly pass out onto the ground, I made a noise of surprise. "Hey!"

I crouched over her and picked up her body carefully.

"What happened?! What did you do?" I examined my arm.

"She healed me... Her energy is spent." I sighed. "She needs rest. I'm not sure where she's living, but I'll take her to my home. Least I can do."

I stared into her peaceful sleeping face. It was strangely beautiful.

2 Days Later

I heard a small sigh and turned around to see Irene squinting open her eyes.

"Welcome back," I said, my voice bland of any emotion.

She sat up on the bed and looked around. I could tell what she was looking for immediately. "Your sword is over there," I pointed to the corner of the room where a sharp crystal sword was leaning against the wall.

Irene glared at me, then whipped the sheets off the bed and stepped off. Her black and gold dress was ruffled.

I watched her as she strode across the room and grabbed her icy white sword, and put it in her sheath.

Then she turned to face me. "Did I pass out?"

I snorted. "Indeed you did."

Her face slowly changed to conserved gratitude. "Thank you for bringing me to... your house then."

My defensive barrier automatically went up. "I meant nothing of it. I just had a favor to repay, after all, you healed my arm."

Irene's gaze went to my left arm and she nodded. An awkward pause settled between us.

"Very well. Then I will be leaving now. Once again, thank you," she turned towards the door.

"Wait!" I called out suddenly, not wanting Irene to leave.

She stopped and tilted her head towards me just a little.

I continued speaking. No stopping now. "Where are you going to go?"

Irene turned back and continued walking. "To see if any nearby villages need any help."

Some strange feeling passed through me. "Aren't you tired of it?" I blurted out.

This time, Irene fully turned to look at me. Her amber eyes flashed with emotion. "Tired... of what?"

"Of helping people. Isn't it hard. Aren't you weary of it now."

Irene stared off into the distance and replied, "I will never get tired of helping people. It is my duty, and it will never stop being my duty."

I sensed hesitation beneath her words, and I asked, "But?..."

Irene sighed. "But, sometimes I wish I had people to help me. I feel so alone after meeting wonderful people, and having to leave them. The only one who has stayed is Esmund."

"Esmund?" I asked.

Irene nodded. "He is my guard. My guardian."

My eyes closed for a moment while I collected my thoughts. I tried to ignore the throbbing urge in my chest warning me about Esmund.

Why do I even care.

"What about a council?"

At my words, Irene looked up at me and I stared back at her.

"What do you mean, a council?" she asked.

I continued speaking. "A council of your greatest friends. Your... guards. You will always be able to be by their side, and you can save the world with them, together."

Irene stared down at her feet and murmured, "Maybe..."

Then suddenly, she looked up to me, eyes shining. "Yes, yes! Thank you Shad! This is the perfect idea. A council of warriors. We will travel the land as equals. We will push back the emptiness consuming our realm. I could give my power to them. I wouldn't be alone anymore..."

I stared at Irene's ecstatic face, and I couldn't help but smile as well. Even though I knew that I would always be the enemy of this council, even though I knew that I would always have to fight against Irene, I still smiled for her sake.

But then Irene's next words surprised me. "And of course, Shad, you'll be a part of it too." She smiled back at me.

I looked at her wavy black hair and amber eyes as a new light shone inside of them. My heart flickered inside of me.

Thank you Irene. But how?