Chapter 2.

I frowned at Kasey's words. It couldn't be possible. How could Avron and I be having the same hallucination?

"Do you believe him?" I asked. Strangely, I hoped she did.

Kasey laughed. "What? No, of course not. That would be crazy. I just wanted to point out that the two of you have at least one thing in common."

"I don't think possibly being psych patients is something good to have in common," I said.

Kasey giggled. "You're right. But I still think it's cute. You two share something that no one else has."

I pondered this. Maybe she was right. It was possible that this ordeal, no matter how strange it might be, would bring Avron and I closer and make marrying him feel more tolerable. Speaking to him might give me a better sense of what was going on; we could share our experiences and possibly find a solution if there was one.

I shook my head, shocked that such a thought had entered my mind. That was definitely a bad idea. Avron would just laugh at me and call me stupid. And what if he told his parents? Then they would tell my parents, and then I'd have a one-way-ticket to a mental institution. There was no way, I would let him find out about my new weakness.

The car rushed past trees, making them look nothing more than blurred images and rounded a bend before approaching my family's mansion. The structure had been crafted with polished white stone which reflected the light of the sun's blinding rays.

Its rigid base and swooping arches mirrored those of Roman times, a testament to my father's interest in architecture. An artfully manicured lawn spread out in front of the veranda, a sparkling sea of green with water fountains seeming to float on the surface like delicate marble boats.

Kasey parked in front of the building and helped me out of the car.

"Are you feeling any better?" she asked, her green eyes looking over me with concern.

I nodded, grateful that I had such a caring friend. My head throbbed painfully but it was mainly due to my overstimulated thoughts and fears. After taking a short nap, I would be able to wake up and pretend that nothing had happened. Then everything would return to normal.

'There's no black hole', I told myself. 'It's just like the glitches. A momentary hallucination that you'll never encounter again.'

I followed Kasey up the stairs to the door and was greeted by Bertha, my family's maid.

The middle-aged woman immediately noticed the expression on my face. "Are you alright miss? You don't look very well."

I managed a weak smile. "Just a little tired. Where is everyone?"

"Lunch has just begun," she replied. "You should join them."

Kasey and I thanked Bertha before making our way into the house.

We walked past the heavily draped windows and lustrous walls of the living room. My mother's flowers decorated every inch of the room, each plant sitting beside glass figurines my father had collected from his many travels.

Every time he went on a business trip, he would bring something back, something he knew our family would like. It was his way of showing that he was always thinking of us despite his absence.

The soft carpet sunk beneath our feet as we approached the dining room. I smelled the fresh scent of  herbs seared in beef wafting in from the kitchen.

My mother, father, and older brother Charlie sat at the grand table, laughing amongst themselves. A golden chandelier hung from the ceiling, illuminating their smiling faces and elegant clothing.

Then everything slowed down as if it were a scene from my movie. My father froze mid-laugh, the muscles in his face crinkled in an almost grotesque display. Charlie's spoon stopped, half-way from his mouth; A glop of mashed potato lay motionless in the air.

And my mother's eyes stared emptily at the wall as if she had forgotten how to blink. Kasey's breath hitched from behind me and I knew that she too was fixed in her spot, unable to move. Everything was silent except for the loud beating of my heart.

I looked around at their still figures. Panic bubbled in my chest, threatening to overflow. It was one of the glitches.

The ominous occurrence that made me feel so scared and alone. I considered running out of the room, but I would only be met by more frozen people. People who looked nothing more than empty shells.

But time resumed and the scene continued to unfold as if someone had pushed the 'play' button on a recorder. Sound poured into the room like rain on cracked, dry land. I paused for a moment to look at my family, at their authentic movements and expressions.

This was real, I told myself. Not that hallucination I'd seen earlier. I took a deep breath, willing myself back into reality. Everything would be alright as long as I acted normal.

I made a mental picture of my family to replace the eerie version I had seen earlier. Charlie and my father were almost identical with their long legs, chiseled features and curly brown hair; they shared a love of sports and anything mathematical.

My mother was every bit the fashion model with her dark, shiny locks that tumbled down past her waist and warm brown eyes. People often said that we have the same features, yet I wished I possessed her confidence and ability to impress.

She always knew how to present herself and win the hearts of those around her. If she wasn't already my mother, I would have chosen her as my dream mom.

Her eyes shone when she spotted me and Kasey. "Come have a seat girls. We were hoping you'd be able to join us."

Once Kasey and I were seated at the table, a maid handed each of us a plate of food. I ate slowly, relishing the savory taste of the meat with mashed potatoes. Food was the best cure for a troubled mind.

"The Daniels will be having dinner with us tonight," my father announced. "And Avron wondered if you'd like to spend some time with him while we spoke to his parents."

I looked at my mother and father, as they watched me expectantly. Although I hadn't outright stated that I disliked Avron, they still knew that I was skeptical about being with him.

Kasey nudged me. "Aren't you going to say something?"

"Huh?" I stammered, realizing that I had been stalling. "Uhm, yeah. I'd love to."

My mother smiled. "I'll relay the message to the Daniels. Avron will be so happy."

Charlie gave me a sympathetic smile from across the table. He knew I wasn't keen on marrying Avron but didn't yet have the guts to tell our parents.

As lunch progressed, I let myself relax, transporting back to the time before the glitches and the aggravating enigma that was the black hole. I laughed along with Kasey and my family, vowing not to let my thoughts wander to the small incident I'd witnessed earlier. Things were starting to feel normal again.

But then, it reappeared. The apparition that I desperately wished would go away. It had grown larger, surging with vigorous power and intensity. Cold, frigid air forced its way out of the hole, trailing on the sides of my face and pulling at the strands of my hair.

My teeth chattered as I turned away from the void, fearful of its violence and swirling obscurity. I kept my eyes shut; if I opened them, would I get lost in its perilous depths?

I vaguely heard the sound of my family and Kasey rushing to my side, screaming my name, but it all felt like a dream. Then my head collided with the table and everything went black.