Chapter 6

*Two weeks later*

It was two weeks since the enchantment was broken, and Merlin was more depressed than ever, though he tried to hide it. After he broke down in the armoury, he went back to Arthur's chambers and pretended everything was fine. Though he could tell Arthur wasn't fooled.

He had sat in his room last night and thought about it. 'Maybe, it's a good thing that Arthur doesn't remember.' Merlin thought. 'He would be disgusted if he found out.' Maybe, the dragon got it wrong and it was to be from someone he considered a friend. Or maybe, it was just that Merlin loved Arthur so much, that it was powerful enough to break the enchantment. After all, he is magic. Yeah, that's why it worked. Merlin knows Arthur doesn't love him. He loves Gwen, of that Merlin is sure. It only worked for him, because his love for Arthur is so strong, whilst Arthur has no feelings at all. Merlin knows his love is unrequited, there is no way, Arthur would fall for him. He's an idiot, a servant, but also a man. It's quite obvious why he wouldn't. Merlin had fallen asleep, with heavy heart.

Merlin broke out of his reverie by Arthur calling his name. "... Lin. Merlin!"

"Hm?" Merlin turned his head towards where Arthur standing in front of his desk with his hands on his hips, glaring at him. Merlin just smiled, innocently. Yeah, Arthur doesn't love him. His heart aches, but he ignored it. It's not Arthur's fault, after all.

Arthur just stared at him. "Aren't you forgetting something?"

"Um..." Merlin wracked his brain trying to figure out what he was forgetting.

"My lunch?" Arthur said, in the tone of voice he would use on a five year old.

"Oh, right." Merlin turned red in embarrassment. "Um, yeah. I-I'll get it now." Merlin hastily left Arthur's chambers before he embarrassed himself even more than he already had.

***

Arthur stared at the door which had just closed behind his manservant. Merlin had been acting strange the last two weeks. His retorts have somewhat diminished and his smiles are forced. He also seemed to find any excuse to leave his presence now.

As time went on, Arthur had been remembering a bit more about what happened in those few days where he had been completely out of it. He remembers Lady Vivian, how he woke up the day after she had arrived and had been besotted with her and tried anything to win her affections and tried to "woo" her with chicken outside of her room. He remembered asking Merlin for help on "expressing his feelings" and how awkward Merlin was when talking about girls... He remembered sneaking, more like climbing with a rose in his mouth, into Vivian's chambers and full on making out with her on her bed. Arthur shuddered just remembering. He remembered King Olaf and his Father barging into the room and Olaf challenging him to a tourney and him accepting... But then it got fuzzy.

Just when Arthur was about to go see what was taking Merlin so long, Morgana barged into his room.

Arthur rolled his eyes. She had been doing that a lot these past two weeks.

"Arthur! I thought I told you to fix it!" Morgana almost shouted at him.

"I don't even know why he's upset." Arthur said defensively. "Besides, he's my servant. I shouldn't care about his feelings-" Even as he said it, a bitter taste came onto his tongue. He shouldn't care. But he does.

Morgana's glare got darker. "That boy has been nothing but loyal to you for nearly two years Arthur Pendragon. That boy loves you, for God sake. God knows why with you treat him-"

"Morgana-"

"-You treat him horribly. He is does everything for you-"

"Morgana-"

"- Not to mention that he thinks so little of himself. You are such an arrogant-"

"Morgana!" Arthur shouted. "If you would shut up for 5 seconds you would let me finish. I shouldn't care. But the problem is I do. I do care about what he feels. And I don't know why."

Morgana's glare softened. "Oh, Arthur." Morgana sighed. "So oblivious. Even to your own feelings."

"I..." Arthur sighed. "Look... I may... Harbour some... feelings... for Merlin... But it's not as if..." Arthur broke off as he realised what Morgana had said 'that boy loves you' rings in his head. "What... What do you mean he loves me?" Arthur whispered, shocked.

Morgana looked horrified. "I shouldn't have said that. I promised him I wouldn't." Morgana breathed out a shuddering breath, closing her eyes briefly before opening them again. "It means exactly as I said. He's in love with you."

Suddenly, everything came back to Arthur in an instant. The tournament. Almost losing. Guinevere's failed attempt at breaking the enchantment. Merlin kissing him... He remembered everything.

Merlin kissed him.

Merlin broke the enchantment...

... And Arthur didn't remember.

***

A/N: Hey guys.

I'm so sorry it took ages to update the story. I've been so busy, especially the last few months. I've had a lot of things that have happened. Not all of them good.

I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Sorry it's so short. The next one might be longer I don't know just yet. Not that long left to go guys. Maybe two or three chapters left.

I haven't abandoned The Lost Prince, I promise. I've just had a lot if things going on.

Hopefully if all goes to plan, I'll be able to update more often.

Thanks guys

@Triquetra123