It had only been a month or two and yet I felt as though I was no closer to understanding the ridiculous amount of 'conveniences' this place had to offer. From the thundering vehicles to the artificial being living in our walls, the dying planet seemed to be the last thing on anyone's mind. The people of the city seem unconcerned in the haze, their bodies overcome with the strain of the toxic air and yet, they continue on as if this were their new normal.

I snag an apple, deciding it is the safest of my options and take a casual bite. We're wary of each other, she is watching me almost as I watch her. "You seem to think that I'm something that I'm not." 

She confronts me first, perhaps she's bolder than I am or maybe just less tired. Those hazel eyes lock on me with an unshamed intensity that attempts to bore into my soul and unravel my secrets. 

"I figured as much, you were listening, hmm?"

"Yes." Soli spins in her chair to lean back on the counter, kicking one of her legs absently. "People say interesting things when they think that they're alone. You and Tonic fumble around like children, the whole compound isn't interested in your lovers quarrel." 

My body grows rigid at the thought, not of her listening for I was used to that with my suspicious companion but the fact that she assumed Tonic and I were together. 

"Wasn't a lovers quarrel. I'm happily married."  Her eyes drift to my hands but they're covered by the gloves. "Yes, I did think that you were banditi," The phrases must be familiar to her because she allows a glimpse of surprise.  I want to distract her, guide her away from thinking of me as someone who was a threat instead of someone she needed to return to their home. "I see you know exactly what I'm talking about."

"Yes." She offers nothing more. "And I'm not banditi. People get killed for saying such things, I suggest you keep those comments to yourself. Care to enlighten me on your knowledge?"

 I can't help but fracture at her words, finding it difficult to keep the reluctance off my face. 

What could I say? That I'm from the past and my time was run by the Mafia? This was a mental game, where we had to decide if we could tolerate the other long enough to fulfil whatever obligation she had set out for us in exchange for my safe return and housing. 

I already had multiple strikes against me, a smart man would bow out and apologize, lay low until he could earn his freedom and run with it. But, I wasn't necessarily known for my fantastic decision-making skills. 

Deliberately, I take another bite of my apple and mull over my options for a retort. "Well, judging by your 'compound' and the way your men seem to respect you,  you have no issue doing whatever it takes to get what you want."

Soli smiles at me, merely a curve in her lip. She returns her leg to fold under her thigh, curling herself into a position I can't imagine is comfortable though I undoubtedly lacked the flexibility of the woman who seemed to have no hip joints with the way she perched so contentedly on such a small surface. 

"I interrogate people. My men are well aware that I'm a hired gun, more than a rebel leader. I'm good at what I do, is it a crime?" 

I pull my eyebrows together as I give her a moment to reconsider her question and she shrugs innocently. 

"Work opportunities here are short. Kicking thugs in their stubby bits for extra coin keeps the lights on, I wouldn't say it makes me a mob boss."

Why did she care what I thought? Why justify it to me? Having tortured someone once myself and interrogated another, more pointedly- having been tortured, it didn't seem like a profession I saw advancement in.