Chapter 1

The blood in my mouth mixes with my food, creating an unpleasant flavor that I'm unfortunately used to. The inside of my cheek stings every time the salt from my food touches it. But still, I keep my jaw clenched as my father berates me. I bow my head, unable to look at any of the servants in the room. Their heads are bowed too, knowing better than to show shock at my father's actions.

I stare up at the chandeliers, hoping one night one will fall on my father's head and set him ablaze. I should pray to the gods more. The portraits on the walls stare at me in quiet shame, only they don't have the decency or ability to look away.

"Four unwed sons, he has!" My father shouts, slamming his fist on the table. "Four! And he won't spare one for her?"

His black eyes bore down on all of the noblemen sitting at the table. His beard is flecked with food and his crown sits titled on his head. He's such a large, overweight thing that he strikes me as more of a building than a man.

My father's secretary, Arman, clears his throat. He sets his fork down and pushes his plate away. I truly do believe wisdom comes with age, though his hair might be white simply from decades of my father's incompetence and the stressed it's caused us all. "Your Majesty, the King did sent with him his most sincere apologies for rejecting the marriage proposal-"

"I'm sure he did," my father barks. "Years now, and I'm the only king on the continent who can't marry his daughter off, and she's the only one with a damn kingdom to offer. "My father stares down at me and I feel tears sitng at the back of my eyes as I'm forced to meet his gaze, knowing I can't look away. In the dim light, the winestain on the front of his robe looks black. "Every man with a ship to sail came to this country to vie for your mother's hand, even after our bethrothal. And not a soul in any of those kingdoms seems to want you. What do you have to say to that?"

"Nothing, Your Majesty." 

"What did you say to the ambassador to make him reject you? He's been gone a fornight, he must have written the letter on the journey home."

"I received him and his gifts, Your Majesty. I danced several songs with him.  I conversed with him. He said he found me delightful, I didn't know that he found me so unsuitable."

My father looks at me as if I can't be telling the entire truth. "Perhaps he found your portrait too forgiving." 

"I apologize, Your Majesty. If he did, then I was unaware. He said the opposite-"

I can't finish my sentence before my father's hand connects with my face. Suddenly, everyone is so interested in eating again. My father included. He shows no hesitation about hitting and embarrassing me in front of his entire court, as if that will increase their respect for either of us. One of the maid's reaches over my shoulder to refill my glass of wine. I can tell even she pitties me. Sometimes, I wish my father would banish me like he's done with several of the other nobles he hated. Especially if I'm so useless to him. 

"The fault was not with Her Highness," Arman speaks up finally. 

My father doesn't dare look up from the steaming plate of meat set in front of him. "Certainly, it was. The King is just too cowardly to admit it. Would you marry her?"

Arman looks confused at the question. He clears his throat. "Your Majesty, as a father to a daughter myself, I do understand how taxing it can be to find a suitable match-"

"Don't think to compare yourself to me. Especially with the whispers of your daughter." Two of my father's advisors exchange smirks at the end of the table.

"I would never, Your Majesty. In truth, the ambassador claims the King sees no benefit in an alliance with Ilythia at the present. Our stores are severely weakened from the drought. Our mines and our coffers will go next." A lot of the noblemen avert their eyes to avoid my father's gaze. Among them all, Arman is the only one brave enough and loyal enough to be truthful with my father. "Each day, I receive word that more and more farmers are taking to the rebel cause. If they can't feed themselves-"