5. Mentor (EDITED)

5. Mentor 

Amancio stared at the ground. He refused to look into the eyes of his intimidating and strict mentor. His mentor was older and stronger with lush dark hair and severe black eyes. The darkening sun behind his body highlighted his sinewy silhouette and cast an authoritative shadow over Amancio.

"Do you realize what you've done?" The dark-haired Encantado said. "You took no precautions at all in front of that girl."

Amancio knew there was no use in arguing. Still, he tried to defend himself.

"She was by herself! Besides, I didn't even do anything wrong –"

His shout died when his mentor snatched the hair on the back of his head and jerked him close. Without letting go, the dark-haired Encantado bent down to Amancio's level.

"As soon as that girl laid eyes on you, she knew exactly what you were. How many times have I told you, Amancio? Never let your guard down in front of a human."

Amancio sniffled through the pain, "But my spell . . . it worked, didn't it?"

The mentor shoved him off. "Not even close. She was entranced at first, but somehow the spell didn't take full effect. She realized what was going on too soon. If you would properly disguise yourself next time, she might think you're a human."

Amancio nursed his scalp. "I don't understand. I did everything else right . . . how in the world did that spell break?"

The Encantado with the dark hair straightened his spine in contemplation. After a moment he said, "I'm not sure, but I know one thing. This girl, Sofia . . there is definitely something different about her. Watch her, Amancio."

Amancio bit his lip. "What if she doesn't come back?"

There was something unholy in his mentor's smile. "Something tells me that she will."