Forgive but not forget

"We'll leave the healing patch on to protect the stitches. The Wurari poison seems to be dormant for now but I can feel it in your blood still. You'll need another treatment," Ming-na said as she pulled the shirt down.

Lying back on the bed Avery shuddered at the thought of having that magic performed again. But that was a tomorrow-problem. Today's problem was almost worse.

Hazel leaned on the meeting table that occupied the front half of the tent, her arms crossed and mouth pulled down in a frown. "So we'll always have to access to a sapien surgeon," she said to no one.

Avery and Niamh shared a look. Why wouldn't she have access to a sapien surgeon?

Ming-na rinsed her hands in a bowl of soapy water, ignoring the statement and the underlying tone. "She will until we find a long-term solution. Maybe the surgeons at the College of Physicians will know of something. When it opens up again."

"It's closed?" Avery asked.

Ming-na nodded. "It was too dangerous to bring powerful sapiens together in one spot. It became a recruiting ground for the Collectors. Some sapiens were convinced, others just stayed away from the school. In war, education seems to be the first thing to go. And it's often what we need the most."

Niamh extended her hand and pulled Avery to her feet, giving her a quick peck on the forehead at the same time. "Don't worry. We'll figure something out."

Avery nodded but didn't feel reassured. She wanted to go home. Be with her family. "How long until I can slip?"

Ming-na paused in drying her hands with a towel. "Anytime." She glanced at Hazel quickly. "Your body is strong enough."

To her credit, Hazel didn't let any reaction show. She kept her face blank, her thoughts to herself. But Avery could guess. What would the humans do if she decided to leave? Would they replace her with another leader? Someone more worthy of the post? No, they didn't know it was that easy.

With a big sigh Avery straightened her shoulders and nodded at the door of the tent. "Alright. Let's do this."

The females exited the tent and found Iris and some other officers waiting just outside. The air was refreshingly cool compared to the stuffy tent. The storm had broken the massive heat wave and the temperature had settled into a comfortable sunny day. Hail was still melting in shaded places and butterflies danced in the puddles drinking up the salts from the mud.

Avery quickly looked around for Roedin and Arctos but all she saw were humans. Humans staring at her. Fear flashed down her spine and then was gone. She could do this. She needed to do this. For them.

"Princess Avery," Iris greeted, stepping forward. "It's so wonderful to see you well."

It would be a long time before Avery believed anything Iris said. Not that the general was lying, but she was never genuine. All of her words were laced with double meaning and venom. Even now she was implying that Avery was well enough to have her sapien friends depart.

"Thank you, General," Avery said. She glanced at the other officers. "Thank you also for welcoming my family into your camp. My sister Niamh was telling me how impressed she was with the set up. I'm looking forward to seeing it for myself."

The only sign of Iris' displeasure was a muscle tightening in her jaw. She was good. But Avery had enough enemies. Sapiens who wanted her dead, humans who were bitter she had abandoned them. Now she needed allies. If she was going to pull this off, she needed to start making friends.

She licked her lips. "I would very much appreciate your guidance, General. I have a lot to learn about General Assembly and other...human ways." Peace offered, Avery hoped Iris would accept.