The party

Roedin surveyed the glittering city from the wide steps that lead up to the main entrance of the Spark. The warm summer breeze caressed his wings, and he adjusted them to shield the healing patches that still protected the sensitive new skin. Avery had been surprised at how quickly he had recovered, perhaps expecting to nurse him for weeks. But this was not the Cabin and no curse was holding his body in a state of disrepair.

The gentle weight of the bond-band rested on his wing's forearm and couldn't help himself but glance at the silver in the twilight. The delicately carved swirls caught the light, sparkling the announcement of his bonding. It was strange to feel its weight there, and he savoured it. That constant reminder of Avery everywhere he went. He flapped the wing once, kicking up some dust and nearly blowing over the sapiens climbing the steps.

"You did that on purpose," Niamh teased as she approached from behind. Her green gown looked like scales from a Reptilia faunid, hugging her body so that the smallest movement made the fabric ripple like muscles.

Roedin raised his eyebrows with a smirk. "You did that on purpose," he said to the dress.

Niamh raised her chin. "So what if I did? This isn't just another party. It's a demonstration of power. I have it."

Roedin blinked in mild surprise. Niamh rarely used her position of beta prime to her advantage and had shown little interest in the affairs of the city. Her fire magic was impressive, not to mention her fighting skills. But she always downplayed her role and let other primes lead the charge, quietly observing and learning from the twins. Her dress made a statement. One that few sapiens, males in particular, would be able to ignore.

Dresses and suits sparkled and shimmered in a rainbow of colour. Sapiens smiled and called out greetings to acquaintances and music wafted out the open windows of the great hall. Hayden had known this party was about more than politicking. People needed a chance to unwind, to be happy and relax for an evening. Remember the good times; remember what they were fighting for.

"Who's on duty tonight?" Roedin asked.

"They've been vetted, Roe. Only long-term staff. And Nick had the girls eat dinner earlier."

Roedin frowned, Niamh cringed.

"That sounded more condescending than intended," she added. "The point is that Avery and Rena will only be picking at the food for show. Arnica will stay for a bit then Cora will take her home." Roedin looked at Niamh sharply. "With a legion of guards! She'll have guards, not just Cora carrying her through the streets."

"Arnica will not be happy about leaving early. She's been talking about the party for weeks," Roedin said.

"It's already an hour past her bedtime. If you thought Mnoptera's were terrifying, try a human child without enough sleep. I think that's how faunids were born: sleep-deprived children evolved into monsters."

Roedin chuckled. "Well if Pauro is on duty he'll be able to soften the blow."

"How's that?"

"Butterflies are out; grasshoppers the new favourite," Roedin explained. "She's been jumping on the bed trying to jump as high as a Tetrig. Cora's worried she'll jump off the balcony."

As if on cue the residents of Ember Place started climbing the steps to the Spark. Arnica was stretched between Rena and Avery, waiting until they were two steps ahead before leaping up, letting the women swing her high as though she had taken a huge jump. She squealed in delight begging to go higher each time. The guests waiting in line on the stairs were so distracted by the laughing humans, they didn't seem to notice the alpha prime and his mate climbing the stairs beside them.