Scars

The streets quieted down as the day darkened into evening and families made their way home. A few restaurants and pubs had their doors open to the fresh spring air as nocturnal stores began opening. Avery shifted on her feet, trying to blend into the general crowd as she lingered outside Petra's office. Finally the last patient of the day left and Avery discreetly slipped inside.

"I'm sorry, I'm all finished for the day, but if it's urgent they can see you at the hospital," Petra said without looking up.

"I was hoping for a little more discretion than the hospital," Avery said quietly.

The surgeon looked up from her small writing desk and immediately smiled. "I have time for one more." She rose and Avery initiated the brushing of cheeks. Petra had earned that trust from her.

When she pulled back Petra's eyes danced with delight. She had caught the scent. "You accepted."

Avery flushed but couldn't keep the smile from her face. "Last week. It's umm...It's wonderful!"

"I'm so happy for you," Petra said. "It's unusual, but I suppose Roedin himself came from an unusual mating bond."

Avery's smile faded slightly. "Is it unusual, or...unprecedented?"

Petra held her gaze. "I'll have to do some research. I've recently hired a new physician who's quite the expert on humans. He should be able to help."

Avery nodded, wondering what kind of surgeon would study an endangered species in such detail. Petra ushered her over to the cushioned examination table. "Let me have a look at you while you tell me about it."

"Tell you about it?"

Petra had already found a deep bruise on her arm and the cut on her scalp. "I don't need the details but he is a half-faunid in a mating bond. He might be a bit too...passionate."

"Oh, this wasn't from him! I've been training, with Rena, and Niamh, and maybe Arctos if he even comes near me again. Roedin would never -- he's in control -- he's gentle --" Avery's face was on fire and brought both hands to her cheeks in mortification.

Petra pulled the hands down and held Avery's face with her own. "I'm glad to hear it. Nothing to be ashamed about. It is the most natural of processes." She went over to her cupboards and pulled down some ingredients. "But I'd like you to take some precautions."

"Well Roedin and I talk about it, often. Sometimes I don't feel -- sometimes I'm not ready and he respects that. He understands what happened to me --"

"Of course, dear. I expect nothing less of him. I'm talking about ensuring you don't get pregnant."

Avery nearly fell off the table. "Is that even possible?"

"Yes! Well, at least I think so. Again I'll have to do some research but humans are not so different as sapiens would like to believe. You were the foundation upon which the Ancestors built us, so biologically speaking it's entirely possible."

"But I mean, I'm two centuries old. At least. Can I still -- am I still -- I didn't think --"

"Do you have your cycles still?"

"They're irregular."

"Well then it's possible from your end. But it is very difficult for sapiens to reproduce. The challenge might be from Roedin."

Avery reeled with his information. She imagined a youngling in her arms. A baby with red hair and dark wings. Wings. Would a half-human have wings? The sapien genes would no doubt be dominant over the human but what about the faunid part?