↘︎ chapter twenty-one

21 | The canceled match

"No! Noelle! You don't understand!" Marley Macmillan heard her mother's shouts from the kitchen. She sounded upset. The four children went silent, trying to hear what were they about to talk. Eavesdropping was bad but they had no choice. "When she told she was a Chaser was the moment I broke. He- he was a Chaser, Elle."

"I know, I know." Noelle Black said with calm voice, trying to comfort her best friend. The two women had been through a lot for their short existence on the world and Marley didn't want to imagine how they felt. Her curiosity was getting too big, and though every second she spent on the stairs of Marley felt more and more nasty, she began to approach the answers of some of her questions. She so desperately needed them.

"She remind me of him so much." Brielle cried, her voice broke. "She has even his eyes, Elle. You pretty well know that. He's your twin, damn it!"

Marley froze. Her father was a twin brother to her godmother. What was going on? She sensed that Noen was trying to make her stop listening because it wasn't good to eavesdrop, but Marley pulled out her hand from his. She had to keep listening. She was grateful that Fred and George didn't say anything to her, but tacitly supported her.

"James Potter never had a twin." said quietly Marley. There was no evidence that this man may have had a twin, so suddenly Marley was super relieved. Noen's face suddenly turned white and his grey eyes narrowed slightly. "See, he's not my father."

"You might be right. I have never heard of James Potter having a twin. It doesn't look that obvious anymore." Noen said with sincerely sad voice. Marley wondered about what was Noelle's maiden name before she got married to Sirius Black. Her curiosity continued to grow, but after hearing about Noelle's twin, who was definitely not James because he didn't have one, Marley's thoughts turned away. So another James must have been her father.

The four refused to listen and went up to their rooms. Marley slept a little restlessly because of everything that had happened to her. In the morning of Christmas Erol, the Weasley family owl had left Mrs. Weasley's gifts. There were two scarves with the colors of Gryffindor, one sweater with Ravenclaw's emblem and one with Gryffindor's. Fred and George gave Marley a new collection of pencils and the girl gifted them new Quidditch gloves. Noen had given Marley three types of bread rubbers because he knew how much she wanted them. And the girl gave him a beautiful Diagon Alley quill and Sugar quill from Zonko's shop.

All in all, Christmas was a very ordinary day, and by the end of the holidays not many extreme things had happened. All had a good time and shortly after New Year's, the four returned to Hogwarts, ready to start the new term. Everything was going the normal way and nothing strange was happening. Marley didn't see her friend Hermione Granger until February, and Lee Jordan had become a commentator of Quidditch matches during that time. Gryffindor would be playing against Hufflepuff very soon. Wood tortured the team a lot and made them train even more because he definitely didn't intend to lose against Hufflepuff.

After one Saturday's early training in February, Marley, the Weasley twins, Harry Potter and Angelina Johnson, still wearing Gryffindor uniforms and brooms, went to the Great Hall for breakfast. Lee Jordan was already having breakfast, talking to a few boys from Harry's year - Neville Longbottom, Dean Thomas and Seamus Finnigan. He quickly saw them and a big smile appeared on his face. However, all four were too tired and they literally crashed on Gryffindor's table.

"How are my favourite friends?" questioned Lee. The Weasley twins just looked at him tiredly with thier brown eyes and shook heads in unison. "Oh, well, it seems Wood is too strict with you."

"No, he's not." denied Angelina Johnson with weak voice. She drank from her pumpkin juice. "We're just not durable enough. But I'm tired enough and I want fucking sleep."