~> 01 <~

Highschool sucks. Especially when you're the new mystery girl, and everyone stares and judges you, making rumors right as you walk by. The only thing good about this hellhole is that I can escape my problems for eight hours, five days of the week and pretend to be normal.

The issue is: I'm not normal. I'm like this freak who just one day showed up at the front doors of her first foster home, with nothing to show where she came from but a Paris watch necklace around her neck. As long as I can remember, I've been obessed with finding out where it - where I - come from.

So here I am, at my ninth foster home in Chicago, Illinois, going to New Heights highschool with my annoying foster sister.

Maria doesn't know that I think she's annoying. Like her parents, she has perfect natural blonde hair and blue eyes, making them look like the perfect All-American family. Then you add in me, the dark brunette hair and green eyed disaster child. My clothes are hand-me-downs from my foster siblings, some I bought with my own money. I haven't gotten my hair cut in months, so it now goes slightly past the top of my ribcage.

"Miss Scarlett Westfire?" A feminine voice asks from behind me. I turn around and see a blonde woman smiling at me. I tried to smile back, but it probably looked more like a grimace.

"That's me, ma'am." I reply politely, getting up from my seat in the school's office to shake her hand.

"I'm Mrs. Simmons, your new guidance conselor. I'm here to show you around. Are you ready to go?" She asks me.

I nod and grab my bag from off the floor. She leads us out into the hall, where most of the students were hanging out. As we walked by, they turned to look at me. Some even smiled, which was good... I think?

I start fiddling with my necklace as Mrs. Simmons begins the tour. "So, welcome to New Heights! We don't get new students often, so that's why they're staring. Don't worry," she gives me a reassuring smile, "once they get used to you, they'll be offering you to sit with them anytime." Yeah, until they learn what a freak I am. I mean, most of these kids probably haven't ever moved out of Chicago. Me? I've lived in nine different places all across the country. Alot would say that I was lucky, blah, blah, blah. But each time I moved, I realized how unwanted I was, how I would never belong anywhere.

Mrs. Simmons looked at me expectantly. "I'm sorry, what were you saying?" I apologize.

She grins. "Why, we've got a daydreamer on our hands, do we?" She stops in front of a classroom. "This is your first class. This," She hands me a piece of paper, "is your schedule. New Heights is on a block schedule where you have four classes, each one hour and a half long. Since you've already recieved most of your credits, your last hour of the day is study hall."

I nod. Back at my old school down in Florida, I took summer-school to finish off some of my credits. "Okay. Thank you for showing me around, Mrs. Simmons."

"No problem." She knocks on the open classroom door. "Mr. figgs? I have a new student for you." She walks into the class and I follow reluctantly. "Students, this is Scarlett Westfire. I expect you all to make her feel welcome." Says every teacher ever, I think sarcastically.

I didn't like how they were staring at me. Especially the guys. It was weird and disturbing, and made me involuntarily shiver. I focus my attention on the teacher. He looked to be in his fifties, with balding grey hair and blue eyes that still shined. He had a potbelly as well.

He smiled. "Hello. Why don't you tell us three facts about yourself."

How about I don't? "Um... well, I'm seventeen, I've lived all across the country, and..."

"So... where are you originally from?" Someone asks from the back of the class. It's Maria and she happens to be sitting with her clique, who were all snickering. She told them about her parents fostering me.

I grind my teeth together. "I don't know." I spit out.

She cups a hand around her ear. "I'm sorry? Could you repeat that?"

"I said I don't know."

"Just one more -"

"I don't know where I come from, God damnit!" I finally scream. Everyone's silent.

"Scarlett -" Mrs. Simmons starts, but I run off before she can finish. I run into the nearest bathroom and look at my reflection. My pale face was covered with tear streaks and my green eyes held cold, hard fury.

I look in the mirror for a minute longer before a sob escapes and I curl into a ball on the floor. No one knows how it feels to be rejected over and over again. Being told that you were in a safe place, but only to be taken away again. How it feels to keep your emotions pent up until you finally break.

It hurts. Not physically. But emotionally.

I heard the door open. I didn't bother to look up.

"Hey," a girl said softly, "don't let Maria and her clique get to you. They're just a group of insecure bitches." I look up and see a really pretty blonde girl sitting cross legged on the floor next to me. She had gentle features that reminded me of innocence. Her brown eyes were caring and calming, unlike my wild and lost green ones.

"Yeah. It's kind of hard when you have to live with her." I sniffle and sit up.

"Wait, so you're related? And she treaed you like that?!" She says incrediously.

I snort. "Hell no. I would never talk to anyone of my relatives if they were like that. Her parents are fostering me until I turn eighteen in a few months." I explain. I don't know why I'm telling this to a girl whose name I don't even know.

She smiles, which I thought was odd. Most of the time when people here that I'm a foster child, they pity me. She must've sensed this, because she then said, "I'm not going to pity you. I was a foster kid too until I was eight and got adopted."

I felt like I should've been jealous that she got adopted so early and I never even got close to it. But honestly, I felt happy that there was someone like me here. "No way."

She laughs. "Yes way. I'm Amy Green, by the way."

I smile for the first time in a while. "You already know my name, but since we're doing introductions, I'm Scarlett Westfire, but you can call me Scar."

"Well, Scar, I have a feeling that this is the start to a great friendship."

<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

A/N:
First chapter, as promised!!! Tell us what you think!!! No vote or comment challenge this time.

Don't know when the next update will be, but hopefully soon!

-L&M 💜

©2014 Dysfunctional_fanfic