Carlisle shook his head. Now I was more fully awake, I saw the stress lining his face. His hand hovered over the gun around his waist. Two more straps ran over his chest--another holster, I realized. A shiver ran down my spine at the sight. It was easy to forget how much danger we were actually in, surrounded by the luxury of the yacht.

Reuben was already waiting in a speedboat when we made it to the deck. It was smaller than the one we'd arrived in. An ominous brown smear marred the canvas side. I shivered, realizing it was blood. Sokol's, probably.

Carlisle jumped into the boat, and held a hand out to me.

"She's coming?" Reuben asked, surprise lacing his tone. "Is it a good idea?"

"You want to leave her here alone?" Carlisle challenged.

"She wouldn't be alone. Ivan's up top," Reuben said.

"She doesn't know Ivan."

"She's coming," I snapped, taking Carlisle's hand. "Don't talk about me like I'm not here." The speedboat rocked when I landed in the bottom. Carlisle caught my waist, steadying me before I could fall.

"Sorry," Reuben said. "We're not used to..." he trailed off, catching himself. I tried to brush the idea of them ignoring some poor girl away.

Salt spray soaked my face as we powered towards shore, Reuben steering through the worst of the waves. I gripped the bench so tightly my knuckles went white. Next to me, Carlisle was at ease with the motion, eyes searching the shoreline. There was just enough light to see by, and I found myself straining to catch a glimpse of the other boat.

"When we get to shore, stay within arm's reach," Carlisle yelled into my ear, struggling to be heard over the roar of the engine. "I don't want you to run off, too."

I hugged my arms to my waist, fear welling up as we approached a dock. A little town balanced along the water. The cove disappeared behind us, hidden behind an outcropping.

My ears rang at the sudden absence of sound when Reuben cut the engine. The night was lightening around the edges, transforming the black mountains above us into muddy pink monoliths. Ahead of the dock was the road into town, lined with dark houses.

"Come on," Reuben braced a foot on the dock, and one on the edge of the boat, helping me onto land. After so long at sea, I felt off kilter on the steadiness of the dock. I stumbled sideways, managing to catch myself seconds before I tumbled into the water. Behind me, Carlisle cursed. Heavy bootsteps thumped on the dock as he came to my side.

"Are you alright?" he grabbed my shoulders, examining me.

"Fine," I said, shrugging him off. "What's the plan?"

"Reuben will search the coastline for the other boat, and we'll head into town."

I tried to judge the distance between us and where the biggest buildings in town were. Despite the rest, I was weak, my muscles barely recovered from the months of disuse. I almost wanted to ask to go with Reuben, but the chance to learn a little more about where I was was too tantalizing to pass up.

"Alright," I said, and followed Carlisle up the cobbled street.

I had to stop a few times to catch my breath, sucking the cool air into my lungs. The burn in my legs felt good. It had been too long since I'd really pushed my muscles this way. It reminded me of walking up the hill to my train stop after school, back in another lifetime.

The smell of baking bread wafted from a storefront. It was the only lit window on the street, surrounded by the still-sleeping town. A bell above the door tinkled gently when Carlisle pushed the door open. Behind the counter, a man in a dusty apron half-dozed over an empty mug. He startled when Carlisle rapped on the counter.