The wings of Castiel

Sometimes, Dean felt it when he stood next to Cas.

A soft brush down his arm; a tingling feeling left in its place. Yet when he turned to look at Cas, he was unmoving, hands by his sides.

When Dean closed his eyes and leaned a little closer into him, warmth enveloped him, tickling his neck and tracing circles on his back.

Opening his eyes, he'd ask: "how're you doing that?"

Cas would hum. "It's a hug, Dean."

Dean somehow knew; a voice within him claimed without a shadow of a doubt.

Wings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Cas!" Dean called from the kitchen of the bunker. "Cas?"

"Dean?" Cas appeared unexpectedly, making both Dean and Sam jump a bit. 

Cas, standing a few centimetres away from Dean, looked up at him expectantly.

"Okay Cas..." Dean attempted to begin. "You know what? We need to talk about personal space."

"Personal space?"

"Yes."

"How much space would you like, Dean?"

"You need to give everyone at least..." he trailed off in thought, eyebrows furrowed together, measuring lengths out with his hands, "half a metre."

"Is it necessary to do so?"

"Yes." His answer was immediate. Sam chuckled from the dining table, not looking away from his screen.

"Alright, Dean," said Cas, taking a step back. "Was there another reason you called me?"

"Uh, yes. Sammy and I decided to get you a fake FBI badge," he said, leaning on the tabletop, beer in hand. "We need to get your picture taken before getting one, though."

"Oh."

"Yeah." A short silence reluctantly prevailed the conversation.

"Should we go do it then, Dean?"

"Yeah, let's go to that wall next to the stairs. It's got a white background there."

Sam held the camera up in his right hand, scrolling down an article with his left. Dean grabbed it as he and Cas left the kitchen. 

"Cas, just stand between this post and the stairs, and..." he trailed off yet again, fiddling with the camera settings, "we should be good."

Cas stood, his countenance portraying the typical expression of slight confusion and ignorant steadfastness.

"Alright," Dean said, bringing the camera up to his eye and squinting through it. "Three, two, and one."

A bright light flashed, surprising Cas. Dean looked at the photo he took and smirked.

"What is it, Dean?"

"You blinked, Cas. Try not to," he said, smiling.

"Oh, should we do it again?"

"Not unless you're fine with showing people this photo." Dean held up the camera to show Cas, the smile still refusing to leave.

"Dean."

"Okay, fine. Let's try that again. Three, two, and o--"

"Guys, so get this," Sam began, walking in ever so suddenly. " I found out that--"

"Sammy!"

"Yes?"

Dean motioned towards the camera and to Cas and shrugged, eyebrows high.

"Sorry!" Sam put his laptop on the table, and sat down to wait and watch.

"Alright, Cas, where were we?"

"One."

"Damn right," Dean nodded, looking at Sam. "We'll start again at three."

"Okay."

"Alright, three, two, and one."

Cas kept his eyes wide open when the light flashed, and Dean approved the photo with an "ay!" 

"Did I blink, Dean?"

Dean replied in the negative. "Look at you, you handsome young man." Dean showed Cas the photo.

Sam shook his head, smiling, face in palm.

"It's very nice, Dean."

"And you will always remember who took it?"

"Of course."

"There's my Cas."

Sam coughed out a laugh, his eyes glued to the screen.

"Don't bother with him." Dean said to Cas quietly enough so that Sam could hear. "Alright, Sammy, what'cha got for us?"

Sam scoffed, but explained the investigation the police were currently attempting. 

"It sounds fishy," Dean remarked.

"More like witchy," Sam said, getting up. "Can't be certain, but we'll have a look around tomorrow. Get a bit of sleep first."

"Yeah, I'm beat," Dean replied, getting up. "You staying, Cas?"

"I wasn't planning to, but could I ask you a favour, Dean?"

"Shoot." 

Sam smiled at them both and left to bed.

"Do you have glasses burned with holy fire?"

"I can burn some now. Do you need it for something urgent?"

"Not very urgent, but I need to help a brother of mine."

Dean, not questioning further, left, and came back in a few minutes with a pair.

"Thank you, Dean."

"Don't mention it."

Cas, trying it on, blinked a few times to adjust to the lighting. Dean laughed, taking it from him to try it on.

"Works like a-- wow..." Dean stood gaping, unable to move, enthralled by the sight before him. Large, dark brown wings were spread slightly open behind Cas. They ruffled, dancing seemingly in delight of being seen.

Yet, at the same time, they looked pitiful; damaged.

Cas stood there, a small smile wanting to make its way up, tugging the sides of his lips. He fought it.

"Cas..."

He shyed away, his gigantic wings attempting to hide behind him.

"I know they're ugly." 

"Oh, Cas," Dean whispered, bringing Castiel into a hug. Words tried to form, but none came out.

Dean watched Cas, in unconciousness, peacefully ruffle his wings as he rubbed the space between them.

He couldn't seem to touch them physically, but he felt it. 

He felt the warmth, the soft brushes and tingling feelings. He felt the tickles and he felt the tracings.

Cas let out a shuddered breath, molding into Dean arms. 

Dean also somehow knew; a voice within him claimed without a shadow of a doubt.

Cas could feel it too.