s e v e n t e e n

Start from the beginning

When I woke up, Emma was sitting at the end of the bed and I felt like I got hit by a bus. I am sick now too.

"What are you doing here?" I croaked and checked on my baby sleeping next to me.

"I just wanted to check on you all before me and the girls left. Do you want me to stay in town?" She asked, noticing that I felt like shit.

"No. Go. Ri and I are okay" I assured. She sighed but nodded and got up.

"Okay. I'll see you two in a week" she smiled.

I heard the door close and I reached over to check Riley's temperature. It's gone up and now he was fussy because I woke him up.

"I'm sorry bubba" I cooed and got out of bed. I quickly changed from Ashton's shirt to his hoodie then grabbed Riley and walked to the kitchen.

I held Riley on my right hip and gathered baby food, water, and a bottle of water and of milk for Riley. I sat it all out on the counter and grabbed the baby thermometer to check Riley's temperature.

The thermometer beeped and I checked it as Riley cried and grabbed at his ears. 101 was his temperature. I found the doctor's number and called her.

"Hello, California Kids Pediatrics. Lisa speaking, how may I help you?" She answered after two rings.

"Hi, I need to make an appointment for my son" I spoke and bounced trying to calm Riley down.

"Okay. What's the first name, middle initial, and last name?" She asked.

"Riley F. Irwin" I spoke.

"Okay, what seems to be wrong with the little guy?" She asked.

"He woke up sick and has been running a fever. It's at 101 right now and I know with his heart he's got to come in with 100.5 or higher" I spoke.

"Okay. Is there anything that he's doing to give you any sign of what could be bothering him?" She asked.

"He keeps grabbing his ears. So maybe ear infection" I answered.

There was a second of silence.

"Okay. I don't have anything open today but I have an opening for him tomorrow morning at 10 am. Is that okay?" She told me.

"That works" I smiled.

"Awesome. I have Riley down. If his fever goes up though, he does need to go to the emergency room" she told me.

"Absolutely. Thank you" I said and hung up and texted Ashton.

-messages-

[ Riley's fever is at 101. He has an
appointment tomorrow morning at 10.
Maybe an ear infection.
He's fine though so don't rush home or anything ]

Ashton: [ Aww 🥺 my lil man
is still sick. Let me know what they say ]

[ Absolutely.
I'm going to try and get him to eat then
I think we're both going to lay in bed because I think he's gotten me sick too🤒 ]

Ashton: [ that's what Emma
texted me and said. I'm sorry I'm not home :( ]

[ I know you are.
But we're okay, I promise.
I'm going to go feed him
so I'll talk to you later. I love youu 😘]

-------

****

{ Ashton }