She closed her eyes and breathed in, wishing to stay in this state of comfort for as long as possible.

Hunger came faster than Hermione hoped. The lovely beach wasn't enough to sustain her throughout the entire day, though there was something in Hermione that had prayed for such an outcome. Or, maybe, she could die out there, in the sand, so close to the edge of everything. It truly was a prominent thought in her mind that day... to be taken out of this world by anything other than her bloody disease.

Regardless, she packed up her things and went back towards the small house that also was more welcoming than any other of her other options of places to rest. Going back to her flat after a full twenty-four hours on the coast would quite possibly off her before the curse did. It just wasn't where Severus was, and to be away from him again was going to drive her mad. This entire situation was going to do it, and nothing seemed to be working out.

Lunch was ready for her when she returned.

"You're going to spoil me, and then I will never want to leave."

"That's the plan," Severus said curtly, his expression smug as she glared back.

"I've told you-"

"Don't," he cut in, "Please. You needn't be so cruel. How were the waters?"

"Refreshing. I couldn't ask for a better place to swim, if I am being honest."

Hermione seated herself back at his table, her dry, water-soaked skin protesting. The sea had not been kind to her cells, but she probably couldn't have cared less if she tried.

"I am glad you enjoy my privileges."

Biting into her sandwich, Hermione felt a rush of pure bliss. He could even make a sandwich taste positively decadent.

"You should open up a restaurant."

"No," came the curt reply. "No, thank you."

"Right, you're retired."

"Exactly."

Hermione rolled her eyes and continued to devour her lunch, the appetite after a swim aggressive.

"I was working on your potion while you were out for your swim and-"

"Wait!" Hermione had nearly choked on her drink when she heard him speak. "You're still working on my cure?"

"What else would I do?" He asked her, not even moving from his spot across the table, staring at her without a single qualm.

"I don't know."

She really didn't. Part of her argued that he wouldn't dare let her out to just die, yet another part of her said that now they weren't together, he would cease to want to be reminded that she was in need of any type of help. It was a cruel assumption of her.

Whatever it was she was expecting, it was not the low rumble of his voice scolding her. "You don't know? Maybe you are as dense as the rest of the students you attended school with, for the girl I know who went through the years could have easily surmised why I would do anything for you at all. How dare you assume that simply because you have ceased to see reason, that I have ceased to care! It may have escaped your notice in your three week absence, but there is nothing I would not do for you, Hermione. I am appalled to even think that there was a doubt in your mind which led you to believe I would simply let you die."

As though someone had just thrashed her violently over her chest, she stood from the table and ran into the bathroom where a prompt coughing fit came on.

Tears were the company she was provided as she fell to the floor of the bathroom, choking on her cries and fits of coughs that would not cease. She had been terrible to him! What else did she deserve other than this?

Leaving the door open was a poor decision however, as she heard him come down the hall, calling to her in a slightly frantic voice. Yet it was drowned out even as he neared when, unlike her many petals that she now tended to create outside of this place, a single petal fell into her hands like the first time she had discovered her illness. Apparently they were already growing stronger.

"Hermione?" His tone was no longer angry, but soft as he knelt down and took her into his arms, cradling her to his chest as she fisted the petal in her hand.

She cried for as long as their bodies allowed them, Hermione being the first one to even feel remotely sore.

"Thank you, Severus," she mumbled as he helped her stand, guiding her up as gently as possible.

"You are most welcome."

His hand caressed the side of her face and the petal in her hand fell to the floor, forgotten.

A/N

Well... I did not expect to update this late!!! I wanted to do it a few days ago but it's been a bad week. I have HIGH hopes for this week however, and I also hope to get a couple more chapters out too!!!