"What's wrong?" Akutagawa asks, studying your unexpected change of attitude, though there wasn't much concern on his face.

"Nothing" you snap back out of fear that if he found out you were injured, he'd yell at you for being so incompetent.

You wouldn't be able to take it.

"Stop being ridiculous [l/n]. What's wrong?"

"N-nothing!" You insist, stuttering as you make the mistake of loosening the pressure on the wound, and underestimating the gravity of it.

Without warning, Akutagawa gets up, walking over to you and pulling your arm away from you, opening up you coat enough to see the problem. His face contorts into an alarmed shock filled to the brim with outrage. You flinch away from him, your innocent nervousness towards him turning into fear of his reaction.

You feel your face burn red out of humiliation, your face attempting to mask the complete discomfort.

"You really are the dumbest partner I've ever been assigned to" he scoffs, letting you go and covering up a cough before reaching for his cup of tea in deep thought, glancing at your frozen position until he sets the tea down and sighs heavily.

"I'm going to have to take you home...apparently you can't do anything yourself"

•••

The teahouse door chimes ring as customer after customer walks in, and you sit with a cooling tea in your hands tightly, your knuckles turning stiffly white.

"Miss, are you ok? You've been here a while and I'm beginning to wo-"

"I'm fine! I'm fine...I'm just waiting for someone" you cut the waitress off that had come to check on you politely, your head dropping to lay on your arms, a heavy weight dropping on you.

How long will I be waiting?

Do I even know what I'm doing?

By the time night falls, you had fallen asleep in your chair alone, two cups of teas half empty with your poor attempt to look less out of place in the teahouse. You weren't exactly doing a good job at it, but that didn't bother you in the least. Your sleep had been empty of any dreams, the noise around you causing disruptions in your tranquility every now and then.

Long minutes later, you feel a tap on your shoulder, and when you grudgingly look up only to see yet another waitress bothering you. Out of instinct, you make a sour face before frustratingly ordering another tea when she insisted you couldn't be here any longer, and then you yawn and wake yourself up, your vision a bit distorted as you try to focus on your surroundings. A large clock sits across from you against a wall on the opposite end of the teahouse, and as you check the time, you start to feel less resentment towards the waitresses that had kept bothering you.

It's way past midnight. I should leave.

Waiting here was a stupid decision anyways.

Nothing is that easy.

Without any feeling towards your outcome, you get up from you chair and leave your payment that wasn't even your in the first place for the tea on the table, ignoring the faces the employees made as you left without turning back, and without even taking the third tea you had ordered.

I should know better.

I should have always known better-

As you open the door to leave, you walk directly into someone, once again so focused on your thoughts inside your head instead of paying attention to your surroundings, and a tsunami of deja vu rushes through your body. You step back with an apology lost in the moment, until your eyes travel from the floor up to the young man's face, and all colour drains from it.

With his more casual attire, even then there was no mistaking who it was. His dark hair falling around he pale face, his eyes sharper than you remembered. It was a view so deeply embedded in every breath you took that you almost forgot how real he was.

It had been so long, and to answer your own question, from earlier...

No, you had no idea what you were going to do.

Your own heart had jumped out of its rib cage, and you fought every instinct in you not to hug him or cry, or yell and back away in utter distress. Instead, all that comes out of you is three weak words that made you choke up.

"Im so sorry"