↘︎ chapter twenty

Start from the beginning

Eventually, Brielle inclined and Fred and George would come over for Christmas. Noelle Black had just picked up her, Noen and the twins from Kings Cross Station and they were going to Apparate to Aberaeron, Wales. The twins didn't know that they would see Marley's mother, and that would be kept secret until the last moment. Marley herself had to promise on their behalf that they wouldn't reveal her secret because it would lead to a massive uproar in the Ministry and whatnot else.

"Cosy town." stated George as they Apparated on an empty street near to the local train station so if muggles later notice them, it will look like they had got off one of the trains. Clever.

"It really is." confirmed Marley. "Our house is also really cosy and it's big enough for everyone. I'm sure you'll like it."

"Just try not to do pranks with fireworks." added Noen Black with a shy smile. Marley had talked to him once or twice since All Saints' Day and she understood who was he friends with - Michael Corner, Terry Boot and Anthony Goldstein. She had seen them in the Hogwarts corridors and seemed like cool children. "We try to not be suspicious for the neighbours. They don't know they're living next to a wizarding family."

"Just have fun." interefered Noelle Black with a big grin. She was really chill person, while Noen was responsible and smart. He was trying to find a solution that was safe for everyone and no one will get hurt. That's why he was in Ravenclaw. He was just careful in what was he doing. "Don't pay that much attention. My little Noen is careful and if there's something  you all shouldn't do B... I'm gonna tell you."

"But still be careful with all the prank stuff from Zonko." Noen didn't give up which only made Marley let out a quiet laughter. Her house was now visible. A cosy and big enough house, on two floors and with big windows with light yellow curtains, wooden door and walls painted in ivory colour, the house looked really innocent and pure. Like Marley herself, according to Fred and George's words.

"Okay, we're here." announced Noelle and her smile faded a little. They were in the front garden and while everyone were about to go in the inside, Marley's godmother coughed and they all stopped. "Listen, boys. I'm sure my little M really trust you. We're gonna trust you too. All of us. There's something M hasn't told you about but there is a reason. I want you to keep that and never tell anyone unless... uhm, er, something happens and you can talk about."

"Okay, but that sounds pretty confusing." nodded Fred with his head and furrowed his brows. "What's happening?"

"You'll see." winked Noelle Black and opened the front door of the house. She took the luggage of the four children (almost teenagers) and left it next to the staircase. Marley knew it was time Fred and George will understand finally something about her, so the girl took a deep breath and shouted:

"Mom! We're home."

Fred and George shared a confused look and met Marley's eyes but she tried to keep them indifferent. She heard footsteps from the kitchen. Meanwhile, Noen closed to front door and in that time Brielle Macmillan appeared in the corridor with a nice smile. Marley went to hug her happily. She hadn't seen her mother in five months and really missed being with her.

Noelle was standing beside her son and for a moment the ginger twins were speechless, but then they grinned widely and their eyes sparkled. "Wait, you're the same from the Marauders, right?" asked George shocked. Brielle just nodded with her head.

"We've heard so much about your friends and we love your pranks." added Fred happily. "Even though you're not studying at Hogwarts anymore, students still know them."

Brielle's cheeks flushed as she was smiling toward the twins, whose smiles were growing bigger. Marley didn't expect they'll accept the news that easily. She thought they could be mad at her or something, but none of this happened. They were actually happy to finally meet one of the Marauders. Noelle was also part of them, but she wasn't that famous as a Marauder but more like Sirius Black's wife.

Brielle Macmillan quickly explained to the boys where they would sleep and upstairs how the vacation would go. She still seemed slightly upset that someone had understood her secret, but Marley had assured her that she wouldn't invite them if she didn't trust them enough. And they've known each other for three years. They had trusted her so much. It was also right for her to share something with them. And Fred and George were smart enough to know that it was really important. She knew that she was very important to them, and she still remembered how bad they felt that day at Hogsmeade when they offended her, though by accident. This convinced Marley that they wouldn't tell anyone. Because if they did, she would never speak to them ever again.

The boys would share a room with Noen, because his was much bigger than Marley's, which didn't accommodate enough people. And Marley was thinking about staying up late in Noen's room to talk to her friends and laugh quietly after bedtime. No one knew why, but Noen's room had a bunk bed in his room. Rather, it was home when Brielle moved in '78.

After they left their luggage, the four of them went downstairs to the kitchen. Marley hadn't yet told her mother that she was on the Quidditch team. She was too busy writing to persuade her to agree to Fred and George coming for the holidyas. It was now quite late afternoon and it had been dark outside for a while. Today was Christmas Eve, and the dinner that Brielle and Noelle cooked filled the aroma in almost the entire house. It smelled delicious of roasted turkey.

After about an hour, everyone was sitting in the dining room, which was at one with the kitchen for dinner. Brielle knew the Weasley family perfectly, but was personally interested in the twins. They talked to Marley's mother freely, as if they were old friends, and Brielle was glad how good-natured the children were. She told them stories when she was a teenager, things Marley didn't know but was happy to hear.

Everyone told something about themselves - Noen for his friends, the twins for some of the pranks they did. For obvious reasons, Noelle and Brielle seemed happy. Maybe it was because they were once part of the Marauders who used to make such pranks. It was Marley's turn to share something. She was a little worried about her mother's reaction, but she didn't know why. Would she like that her daughter was on the team?

There's no turning back. Marley took a deep breath and said. "Mom, I'm in the Quidditch team."

"Ahh, congratulations honey!" Noelle was the first one to break the silence, clapping happily with her hands. Her smile was really bright, while Brielle was wordless for a moment but smiled at the end. "I haven't played Quidditch and that's my worst mistake, but I'm sure you'll be an amazing Seeker like your mom..."

"I'm a Chaser, actually. Harry Potter is the Seeker." corrected her Marley and in that time Brielle was taking a sip from her glass with wine. The mother choked with her drink and almost spilled it on the table. "Mom, are you okay?"

"Yes, don't worry." she said with hoarse voice and smiled weakly. For a moment Marley wondered why her mother was that shocked to hear she was a Chaser, but then she remembered her punishment with the Weasley twins at the Trophy Room. There she found a golden badge on a Chaser called James Potter. But that was Harry's father, not hers. And then her conversation with Noen on All Saints' Day appeared in her mind. She quickly pushed it away. "Congratulations, sweetie."

"Thanks, mom." Marley whispered quietly. Something was wrong with her mother but Brielle Macmillan managed to keep the conversation and happy еnvironment during the whole evening. Ten minutes before the clock struck midnight, Marley explained her family tradition to the twins about making a wish at midnight. Exactly in the first minute of Christmas they made a wish and then it was time for bed. They'll receive their presents in the morning. The four children left the kitchen ready to go to bed while both women assured them they'll lift the dishes from the table.

"Marley, that's what I'm talking about." said suddenly Noen while they were going upstairs. The girl stopped confused and looked at her best friend. Everyone stopped in the middle of the staircase. "Just think. He's your father."

"No, no way." she denied again, uncapable of thinking that she could have something in common with the Potter family. She shared a look with the Weasley twins but they just shook their heads negatively. The evidences were against her and were about to win the battle. But Marley wanted to prove them wrong.

"We're talking about James Potter, right?" questioned George and Noen simply nodded with his head. "Mar, he was a Chaser. Like you. Well, we know almost nothing but you better trust your friend. He might knows."

"No! Noelle! You don't understand." then Marley heard her mother's shouts from the kitchen.