FOUR.

"and when her halo broke, she carved the two halves into horns"

-

FOUR.

CADY HAS NEVER BEEN TO THIS SIDE OF NARNIA. The beach runs across the entire side of the land, going as far as the eye can see. The saltwater laps at her boots and an unfamiliar tingle runs up her body. Her mother had always forbidden her from the ocean. It is always too dangerous for her, even when her mother comes back to the castle smelling like salt and freedom, with her golden blonde hair drenched and joy in her eyes.

She follows the Pevensies closely, where everyone has changed into something more comfortable for long journeys. It feels like a glimpse into the long gone Golden Age.

A boat emerges from the horizon and Cady immediately recognises the two Telmarine helmets shining under the sunlight. One is holding a crossbow in his hands as the other rowed the boat.

Cady squints as they stand up, picking up a small body from the tiny wooden boat. The vessel rocks unsteadily as they prepare to throw them overboard.

Susan notches an arrow and shoots it at the boat, the arrow lodging itself along the side of the boat. The two boys pull out their swords threateningly as Susan notches another arrow. "Drop him!"

The Telmarine soldiers move quickly, dropping the body into the water before one soldier reaches for his crossbow. Before he can do anything with the weapon, Susan's arrow hits him square in the chest.

Edmund hands Cady his sword as he dashes towards the water, diving in without hesitation. Peter follows him closely behind, his sword left with Susan.

The other soldier bails on his friend, jumping into the water as well.

Edmund tugs the boat back to shore and Peter holds the halfling in his arms, pulling him up to the sand.

Cady kneels down, cutting through his bonds with her dagger as he stares wide-eyed at them. When the two boys approach them, Cady hands Edmund back his sword with a smile.

The dwarf coughs out water, gagging as he stands up and turns to Susan, "Drop him? That's the best you could come up with?"

"A simple 'thank you' would suffice," Susan retorts wittily.

"They were doing fine drowning me without your help." The dwarf points back at the water, practically spitting his words.

Peter tilts his head daringly, a challenge on his face. "Maybe we should have let them."

"Why were they trying to kill you anyway?" Lucy asks.

"They're Telmarines, that's what they do."

Cady frowns. "They don't believe in Narnians."

"I take it you know them well then?" The dwarf snorts, obviously not believing her.

The blonde narrows her eyes at the dwarf. "Yes, I do, and what of it?"

"How did they get you anyway?" Edmund asks.

"They hunt us," he replies, rolling his eyes. "Where have you been the last few hundred years?"

Lucy smiles. "It's a bit of a long story."

Susan hands back Peter's sword as the dwarf eyes it cautiously. His eyes catch the lion head at the hilt and he takes a step back, looking at the siblings, "You've got to be kidding me. You're it? You're the kings and queens of old?"

Peter steps forward, holding out his hand, "High King Peter, the Magnificent."

"You probably could've left out the last bit." Susan smirks at him, her playful tone easing the tension.

The dwarf laughs. "Probably."

Edmund turns his face, hiding a smile that Cady gets a slight glimpse of before his expression turns blank.

"You might be surprised," Peter says, drawing his sword.

"Oh, you don't want to do that, boy." The dwarf chuckles.

"Not me," Peter gestures to Edmund. "Him."

Edmund draws his sword, moving into stance already.

The dwarf looks at Peter in disbelief before hesitantly taking the sword from his hands. The metal drops on the sand with a thud, the dwarf's hands wrapping around the hilt tightly.

All of a sudden, he swings his sword, the metal clanging with Edmund's sword harshly. When the dwarf swings again, he aims for the brunet's head.

Edmund dodges it swiftly before the dwarf brings the hilt to his face, hitting him in the nose.

The king grunts as Lucy yells in concern, "Edmund!"

Cady winces, that ought to hurt.

The dwarf sounds almost concerned for a moment. "Oh, you alright?"

He swings again without missing a beat, bringing the sword to where Edmund stood.

The king moves to the side quickly, tapping the dwarf's behind cheekily as he swerves away from him, nimble on his feet.

Edmund glances at Cady for a split second, a smile on his face before looking at the dwarf again.

The dwarf swings high, and Edmund brings his sword up to dodge the blow, jumping as the dwarf aims at his legs.

Quickly, he delivers a series of blows to the dwarf's sword before disarming him and pointing his sword to the dwarf's head.

That is hot.

The dwarf sinks back on the sand, "Beards and bedsteads. Maybe that horn worked after all."

"What horn?" Susan asks.

"Who blew the horn?" Cady presses the dwarf. An image of her doctor's horn flashes through her memory and her heart aches with a hope of Caspian being alive.

"Some Telmarine." The dwarf shrugs. "Sloppy, with a nightshirt on, probably didn't have the time to change," he snorts.

"Shoulder-length brown hair? Brown eyes? And around this tall?" Cady blurts out a vague description of her brother, holding a hand above her head.

"Yes, that, exactly." His eyebrows knit together in suspicion. "What? You know something?"

Cady beams, turning to the Pevensies. "It's Caspian! He's alive!"

"Who's Caspian?" Edmund questions, his eyes narrowing.

Cady can't hide the grin that etches across her face. "He's the person I love more than myself."