14 Beauty and the Beach Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Professor Oak!" I gasped.

Then, a lady walked in beside him. I recognized her quickly too. "Mrs. Ketchum?"

"Hi there, Rosa," she greeted with a friendly smile.

"When did you meet Professor Oak?" Paul impatiently asked.

"Well," I began, "after I got to Kanto, Luxio and I went to Pallet Town to meet him. It was actually suggested by Professor Rowan as a way to get some data on the Kanto region, and get a map too."

"I take it this is a friend of yours?" Professor Oak asked.

"Yep. This is Paul. He's a Pokémon Trainer from Sinnoh just like me."

Paul politely bowed to him. "It's an honor to meet you, sir."

"The honor's mine."

"So, why are you guys here?" I asked.

"I'll explain that later. For now, look at this." He handed me a magazine with an article all about Porta Vista, and a special annual contest. "Today is the day of Porta Vista's annual summer competition: the Beach Beauty and Pokémon Costume Contest."

"Beach Beauty?" I repeated.

"And Pokémon Costume Contest?" Paul said.

"And the prize for winning is $1000 per category," said Mrs. Ketchum.

"$1000?!" Paul and I shrieked.

Professor Oak nodded his head. "The contest draws thousands of people each year, and most of those people get hungry. They'll all be looking for a place to eat, so why not advertise this place?" explained the Professor. "You'll clean up, and you'll have the money you need by the end of tomorrow."

"$1000 is more than enough money to cover my debt!" Ryu said.

"And as far as Pokémon and beauty is concerned, I think our dear Rosa here's got it in the bag," Mrs. Ketchum said with a giggle.

"What?!" I squeaked, feeling my heart start to race.

"If the event is held, and one of the contestants is sponsored by this hut, I reckon we'd get crowds of customers swarming in here too!" Ryu added.

My eyes widened, and my hands got sweaty. "But wait... I..."

"Well then, your money troubles are over!" Mrs. Ketchum cheered.

"Um..."

Ryu quickly asked, "Well, what do you say, Ms. Rosa?"

My soul left my body. The pressure of everyone staring me down made my knees buckle. I suffered from stagefright, so going up onto a stage seemed impossible. However, I wanted to help Ryu save his restaurant, and his boat. With no other options, entering the competition seemed like the only way.

Holding a fist up to my heart, I gulped and replied, "All right! I'll do it!"

"Excellent! Then we've got work to do!" Professor Oak cheered. He and Ryu went off to work on advertising.

"After we pass out fliers, I'll help out with the costumes, okay?" Mrs. Ketchum said.

I made a small nod. "Sounds good."

Watching her walk off, I noticed Paul cast me a concerned glance. It seemed like a figment of my imagination, so I ignored it and stepped away to figure out what to wear. Luxio also seemed concerned about me.

About an hour before the contest would begin, tourists swarmed the beach, and Ryu's restaurant thanks to all our advertising. City officials set up a massive catwalk on the sand nearby, and people packed onto the ground around it.