Chapter Twenty Seven

When I woke up, it was to the sound of footsteps coming down the stairs. 

"How come when I stay with you, I always wake up alone?" Cat asked. I sat up, unsure of how to answer. I wanted to see if she'd remember last night as clearly as I did. She didn't look hung over, and I was glad. She sat down across from me on the couch. "You look like you've seen a ghost." She said. "What's wrong?" 

"Cat," my voice was hoarse, "do you remember anything about last night." She looked at me and then she grew nervous. 

"No," she said, "what did I do?" I felt the tugging in my stomach as I realized I was going to have to tell her. 

"You tried to sleep with me," I said. She smiled like it was a joke and then sobered as she realized I wasn't the one who was joking about it. 

"Cadence," she said slowly, "I know this seems like an awfully inconvenient time, but we need to talk."

"I think the same thing," I said, "we've got a lot to talk about."

"I'm sorry," she said, "first off. I didn't mean to make it awkward for you." 

"I forgive you Cat," I sighed, "I don't want an apology. I want you to be truthful with me." 

"Of course." She said quietly. 

"Did you mean it?" I asked. 

"Mean what?"

"What you said last night." 

"What was it?" She asked and I realized she must not remember that either. I sighed and looked away trying to focus. 

"That you liked me." Her face paled, "That you wanted me." 

"Cadence," she said slowly, "it was never supposed to come out like this." 

"So it's true?" I asked. 

"I guess," she said, "I don't know. When you told me you were in love with me, I thought for a long time. Gavin and I ended because he didn't understand how much more you meant to me than he did. I didn't either at the time, but now it's too late. You're with Archer." 

"Archer knows about last night, and he told me I needed to make a choice."

"So, what is it?" She asked, looking up at me. I shook my head. 

"Like I'm supposed to know now, already?"

"No, of course not. Take your time." 

"I will," I said, "but until then Cat, I think it's best I be alone. No influences." 

"I understand," she said, "I'll call Jake." 

"Alright," I didn't argue, "I'll talk to you soon." I walked up my stairs and poured a glass of cold wine form the mini-fridge in my room and then ran a hot bath. I filled it nearly full and sat in it, trying to unwind. My head was pure ache, and my heart was throbbing. I was torn between the two people who had come to be everything to me.