Chapter Eight

Archer didn't ask any questions when I walked into the building, and instantly picked a bottle of whiskey from the piles. He grabbed one and sat along side of me, obviously waiting for an explaination. 

"Are you going to tell me or am I going to have to assume?" 

"What are you assuming?" I asked, taking a long swill. 

"That you're furious, with Cat."

"At least you know how to read me, my best friend of years can't." I spit, viciously. 

"Maybe you aren't letting her." I shot him a pointed glance and he looked away for a second and then scooted closer, "Look," he started, "maybe she's held to a higher standard in your head because you're in love with her." I hated him for being so damn right, but contemplated it. He was making a good point, and waiitng for me to agree or disagree. I opened my mouth slowly, dreading admitting he might know something and then my phone rang. I didn't check the caller ID thinking it was Cat, and then slid the lock off. 

"What?" I asked in a cold voice. 

"Hey," her voice was gentle and I sighed as I pinched the bridge of my nose, "can we talk?" 

"Nat," I said slowly, "I don't think this is a good idea right now-" I slowly trailed, "I've been drinking and I don't want to make any mistakes." 

"Please?" She asked, "I'll come to you. I just have a few things to tell you." 

"I'll text you," I said and hung up. I sent her Archer's address and told her not to expect to stay long. Archer raised an eyebrow. 

"I'll stay right here," he said, "I promise." I smiled at him and rested my head against his shoulder. I hadn't thought about our kiss again until now, and I wondered if it had meant anything to him. 

"I'm glad I have you," I said slowly, "it's crazy how much you mean to me in so little time." 

"Same," he rested his head on top of mine, "I knew since the party that we'd go well together."

"You're the best, best friend I've ever had." He laughed and then sat back up, knocking another sip back. I did the same and he watched me. I felt my stomach rumble, and was confused because I had actually eaten today. 

"Are you hungry?" He asked. He walked to his fridge and I smirked. 

"Kinda'," I said, "what'chya got?" 

"This," he pulled a pan from the fridge and I looked it over. I was impressed with the smell, "mom made it." I looked closer at the Italian food.

"You're Italian?" I asked.

"Is that so hard to believe?" He demanded and I looked him over again. He had fair olive skin and pretty eyes. I surmised that it wasn't. 

"I guess not," I laughed, "give me some of that though." He got two plates out and we shot whiskey over Italian until the doorbell chimed. I went to the door and opened it. It was Natalie, and he nodded. I invited her into the living room and she looked me over. I tried to avoid her eyes, but it was difficult. 

"Hey," she said, "I'll be quick." She smelled great, and I swilled more whiskey.

"Alright," I said, "let's talk."

"I didn't mean it," she said, "that stuff." I raised an eyebrow to her. "Well," she continued, "I meant it but I didn't mean that was all I wanted. I want more, I want all of you. With me, I want to be in love, for once." She had the same intentions and I felt slightly guilty. 

"Maybe I was too hard on you," I said, "I remember the feeling, but I don't remember it accurately." 

"It's hard," she laughed nervously and I felt my stomach twist, "I'm sorry, again." She was collected and I was still extremely attracted to her. 

"I forgive you," I said, "thanks for coming by." She stood slowly and walked to the door behind me. I opened it and she looked me over in the doorway. I wasn't sure if I wanted her that much, if I was rebounding or if the whiskey was flowing through my head; but I kissed her. A slow, gentle kiss. She didn't shy away, or want more. She took it, and was pleased. 

"Thanks," she said, "for listening." She headed towards the small silver car I recalled seeing in her driveway yesterday. 

"Hey," I said and she turned back, "we're having a party here tomorrow for my birthday." She looked at me hard, "you should come." 

"I'll be here," she said, "what time?" She was waiting and I looked at Archer. 

"Eight," he hissed.

"Eight," I said to her, "it's mature audience only." 

"I'll try to bring another year or two." She joked and I smirked from the doorway. I shut it, and turned back to Archer. He was smirking as well and I rolled my eyes. "What?" I asked slowly, "I'm too forgiving." 

"I'll keep that in mind for my advantage." He smiled and I sat back down. 

"Hey," I said, "can I ask a favor?" 

"Of course," he was grinning, "anything?" 

"I don't want to be alone tonight, and Nat's not in the question at the moment, especially not Bridezilla" I said slowly, "Can I stay here?" 

"Of course," he smiled, "should I take the couch?" He asked.

"No, I was thinking, if it's not weird, that we both just crash in your bed." He didn't smile, he didn't smirk and I was genuinely pleased. 

"It's not," he said, "I need it too. Just someone to cuddle up to." I stood, and took my slippers off. I offered him my hand and he capped his bottle and set it on the counter. Mine was empty. 

"Come on," I said as I tugged him along, "I'm sleepy now." He laughed and resisted a bit but followed me up the stairs and straight to his bedroom. I collapsed onto his bed and he crawled in next to me. 

"There's a problem," He said, "I sleep shirtless." I grinned. 

"I'm gay, remember?" 

"Oh yeah, sorry. I forgot, after the kiss." 

"Sorry about that," I said, "I forgot I was gay for a minute." He laughed and pulled his shirt off. I looked him over and my mouth dried a bit. He was lean and tall, pierced and my type beyond belief. He turned back to me and I blinked a few times. 

"You okay?" He asked. 

"Yeah, forgetting I'm gay again." He laughed and laid down next to me. He pulled me in close and I rested my head on the colored skin of his bare chest. His heart throbbed underneath it, and I let that act as a metronome. I dozed off with my head on his chest, and my body tucked into him tight. He kept his arms around me and I was blessed for having him. Something so simple. I kicked myself as I fell asleep because I fell into him as well. Feelings burned my insides, threatening to confess themselves. I shut my mouth and closed my eyes, sleep took me faster than I expected, but I didn't fight.