Chapter Eighteen

Cat was still sleeping when I woke up, and instead of getting up and starting breakfast. I savored it. It were the tiny details like this that I would miss if I ever let her become a married woman. I sighed and ran my hands through her hair. She didn't move, but her breathing was heavier. I wondered if she were sleeping soundly. She stretched and I kept my hands still, and she calmed again. I sighed with relief, she was snoring again in no time. I heard Archer's bike rumbling into the yard, and knew that when Gavin picked Cat up, I had to be there. I spoke too soon, because Gavin's car idled in the driveway and he appeared in the door. I motioned for him to come in, quietly. 

"She has to get up," he said, "we're going out with my parents and siblings." I recalled a mental image of Gavin with his siblings. I sighed. 

"It's so unfair," I said, "I swear, after you found out- you've purposely been hogging her." 

"Me?" He asked sarcastically, "Never. Of course, I need her to spend as much time with me as possible." 

"For what?" I demanded, "That insecure in your relationship? You think I'll turn her gay?" He looked me over and then rolled his eyes. The obvious answer was yet, but he was going to deny it. He walked over to the couch, careful as can be not to touch me, and pressed kisses into her face. I hated that it gave me a good feeling, that he was sweet to her. 

"Baby," he whispered, "wake up." He kissed her cheek and neck. She stretched and asked in a groggy tone, 

"Cadence?" His face changed quickly to anger, then to hurt, then back into his casual douche bag composure. 

"No baby," he said, "It's me, your fiance." He threw the word in my face just to hurt me, and it worked. I flinched, physically and he smiled. 

"Gavin?" She asked. 

"That's right honey," He said, "I've got a few surprises for you today." 

"Do you?" She stretched and put her arms out for him to hold her. He picked her up, bridal style and it was easy for me invision her in a Cinderella gown, veil, and shoes. He smiled triumphantly. 

"Of course," he said, "we've got dinner with my parents, and then I was thinking we spend the day motorcycling." 

"What?" She asked, resting her head on his shoulder. He carried her towards the door. He tugged it open, and left it there so I would hear what he was going to say next. 

"I bought one," he sounded rather pleased, "I remembered you saying how hot they were, and I bought one." She smiled sleepily. She seemed pleased, but would be pissed when she realized it came from their wedding funds. She was working so hard to replenish them. 

"I love you," she said to me as she was tugged out the door, "call me later. Tell me how it goes." He shut it before I could say anything back. I waited for his car to be clear of my driveway before I ventured outside. I went to the door and yanked it open. I walked out, across the lawn in barefoot and hated the wet in between my toes. I knocked on Archer's door, and he didn't answer. I pounded on it, as the rain came down again in sheets. 

"Archer!" I yelled, "Please?" He paid no mind to me, if he heard me, and continued on where ever he was. Doing whatever he was. "Please?" I yelled. "I have a lot to tell you." He didn't answer, and I tugged my key from my pocket and unlocked the door. I walked in, and looked around. Nothing much had changed, his snake was in the cage. The couch was empty. I walked upstairs, and found his bedroom. "Archer?" I hissed. "I'm coming in." He didn't answer and I opened the door. He was in his bed, tucked in tight. He was probably fast asleep, and I didn't want to leave him nor did I want to be too intrusive. I walked over, and lifted the covers, sliding in next to him. He was warm, and I sheltered myself in it. He rolled over and hooked me in his arms. 

"Cadence?" He asked, sleepily like Cat had. I smiled, because this time he was right. 

"Yes, it's me." I said slowly. 

"I'm glad you're here," he faced me, "I don't want to be alone today." There was a deep cut in the side of his face, and I ran my finger over it. It was starting to scab, and he winced. 

"Archer," I whispered, "what happened?"

"I got into a fight," he said, "Jagger had a knife."

"Who's Jagger?" I asked. He didn't answer and I moved closer, "Sweetie, who's Jagger?" 

"The reason I'm here," he said, "it's a long story."

"Tell me," I whispered, "I want to know." 

"Can't we sleep first?" He asked, and stroked my face with his thumb. 

"I'd rather know," I whispered, "then we can sleep." 

"Cadence," he sighed. 

"Swear." I whispered. 

"That's not very fair," he said, "I still don't know anything about you." 

"I let a stranger in my bed?" He gasped like he was terrified, "Pity me." I rolled my eyes and he laughed. 

"Please?" I asked.

"How about we swap stories, I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours?" I swallowed hard as he spoke. My throat tightened and I felt panicky. 

"Deal," I said, "but you first please?" I asked. He looked me over and sat up a bit. His cheek was bruised around the wound and I wanted to make him allow me to properly bandage it. 

"I'm an only child," he began, "and my parents want nothing to do with me anymore. So, I live here. The end." I shook my head. 

"Why did you move here exactly?"

"I moved here to start over," he said, "I had made mistakes. I lived in a neighborhood that didn't believe in kids like me. I got involved with the wrong people, and Jagger was my best friend. He convinced me into a lot of wrong, and my parents kicked me out. I was living with him. Jagger was a rugged kid, and I got tangled up with him. I saw him today, and him and his squad ganged up on me." 

"Well, why does he hate you so much?" I asked.

"I slept with his girlfriend," he said slowly, "in my defense she told me they were over." I rubbed his cheek where the wound was and he winced and gasped. I leaned forward and kissed it gently. It still tasted of metal, and I laid back down. "Oh no," he said, "you're not getting off that easy, your turn." 

"I was hoping you'd forget." 

"I didn't," he said, "go on." 

"I've lived here since I was a freshman," I started, "

"I didn't," he said, "let's hear it." 

"I've lived here since I was a freshman," I said slowly, "I used to live in Georgia." I swallowed hard, "I moved here to escape my past too. But it's just made me miss them more." 

"Miss who?" He asked. 

"I don't have parents," I said, "Well, I did. But I don't know." He tugged me in closer. "There was an accident," I said "and I lost them."

"I'm so sorry," he said slowly pulling me closer still, "that must be hard."

"It's extremely hard." I said, "but I have you and Cat and my uncle."

"I promise I'll try to take care of you." He said, "Always, with everything I can."

"I appreciate it Archer," I said, "I know we haven't known each other that long, but I really feel like we're meant to be in each other's lives."

"Me too," he kissed the top of my head, "even if it's painful at times, we're going to stick together for a long time. Deal?"  

"Deal," I said, "what do you mean painful?" I asked. I heard his breathing as it changed and lightened. He had fallen asleep. I laid next to him and wondered if this was considered cheating. Natalie would understand, and I was sure of it. I closed my eyes and tried to piece together what he had meant by 'even if it's painful'. My subconscious mind already knew it was because he was falling in love with me. I hated to admit it, but I knew that was exactly it. I hated even more to admit that I might be in love with him too. He made days pass by in blurs, and made the nights sweeter. I breathed in his musky smell. Sweat, iron, and cologne. He was heaven, and I was laying in the arms of heaven. I closed my eyes and counted my blessings.