Chapter Five

When I woke up, Cat was asleep still. I rolled from the couch quietly, and walked into the kitchen. Cat and I were the dynamic duo, despite our differences. It wasn't hard for us to get along, it just seems that way. I started cooking breakfast, knowing that she would either wake up to the smell and help me cook, or she would do the dishes after we were finished. I brewed the coffee first, knowing it was the best sober for my hangover. 

"Hey," her voice was raspy and incredibly sexy. I bit my lip and kept my back to her, waiting for the butterflies to exit. 

"Hey," I said, "good morning." I turned towards her at last. 

"Are you cooking?" She asked and I raised an eyebrow. 

"Of course, are you helping or on dish duty?" 

"I'll do the dishes," she said, "you're better at cooking." 

"Blueberries or chocolate chips?" I asked, not bothering to try and correct her. She was correct. 

"Blueberries," she said, "please." I nodded and poured her a cup of coffee. Half knowing she would have picked blueberries, I brewed blueberry coffee and started a batch of blueberry pancakes. She laid back against the wall in her chair and tucked her knees up to her chest. I knew the pose, as a signature of distress. She sighed and then I felt the need. 

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing," she said, "I just- I don't know."

"Oh?" I waited, knowing she'd spill when it got to her that I wanted to listen. I kept cooking, ignoring the obvious. The bacon was nearly half done when she finally spoke. 

"I think I should call Gavin, but I don't know." 

"Call him," I said, "I don't mind." 

"I might after we eat," she said, "if that's okay."

"It's fine," I piled the food onto her plate and then mine, "let's eat." 

"Thank you," she said, "for everything." 

"You're welcome," I smiled at her. She looked innocent and child-like tucked into her seat. She ate hungrily and I watched her. She was careful, even now. 

"What?" She asked with a mouthful. I burst into laughter and shook it off.

"Nothing," I said, "I'm just-" I debated filling in the rest right now with 'hopelessly in love with you'.

"Just what?" She asked and her voice made the idea implode. 

"Glad you're here." I said, "Glad we make up everytime." 

"Me too," she reached across the table and squeezed my hand. The touch made my skin warm, "you mean a lot to me." I stuffed my mouth to avoid having to talk. I wondered what Archer was doing, and if he was hungry. 

"I'm going to run next door," I stood, "I'll be right back." She was going to protest but I jumped up and ran to the door. I slammed it and slipped through the wet grass. Archer didn't have a car, so I was usure if he was even home. I knocked on the door quietly and then hard. He didn't answer so I slipped my key into his lock. It fit fine, and I grinned- knowing I now had an unholy leverage on him. I walked in and yelled out his name.

"Jesus, Cade." He said, "How the fuck did you get in here?"

"My secret to keep, just always be cautious."

"You're not into boys," he said, "I'm not worried. What's up?"

"Come over for breakfast, I made blueberry pancakes and coffee."