ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴠɪ - sᴏᴍᴇ ᴅᴀʏ

THE VOLCANO KINGDOM

Soldiers fell, a dozen a time, each body on the ground allowed Hirobrius' army to advance towards the Castle Mhagcarta. Hirobrius paused to whisper to the dead. They rose, unsteady, as if all the bones in their body had been twisted and rearranged, and their eyes shone blue.

"Onward," Hirobrius declared. The hordes advanced. The capital city of the Volcano Kingdom was in ruins when they reached the palace gates. Every home enveloped in flames. The scent of burnt flesh and blood rose into Callum's room.

King Callum paced around his room. The guards had barricaded him inside his quarters. He gather as many personal items as he could fit in a sack. What would happen to his people? Where would he go? And who was attacking the Volcano Kingdom?

Multiple hands were pounding on his doors. Muffled groans came from the other side. Callum's eyes widened. He needed to leave. He ran to the bookshelf in the far corner of his room.

"Volcanic History. Volcanic History." He skimmed his eyes over every books' spine. Reading each title in his mind. His pointer finger touched the book he was searching for. He pulled it out and tossed it to the ground. The wall moved to reveal a passageway, hidden behind a nook.

Callum turned to view his room, one last time. He sighed. This may be his final moments in his palace. He looked back to the dark halls that will lead him to sanctuary.

THE CORRUPTED KINGDOM

Meghan was escorted through the dark hallway by two royal guards. Her eyes followes each tinted window she passed, the glass enabled some light to illuminate the castle. They paused in front of a purple door. A guard turned to her and bowed.

"Your Majesty, Queen Meghan, the Corrupted Kingdom's Queen Lauren will see you shortly. Please wait here." They gestured to the purple door. The other guard opened the door to reveal a room draped in sunlight, contrasting the darkness of the halls. She eyed the multiple lounging chairs spread across the room. In the center was the crest of the Corrupted Kingdom, a sly fox surrounded by royal purple and gold.

The guards bowed to her again them marched off. Meghan entered the room and circled it once, admiring the small trinkets laid out on pedestals. On the farthest wall, hung a sword. Meghan surveyed it's hilt, made of leather, which seemed to have been damaged over the ages.

The blade was golden steel, a weak material which was crafted for use by lower ranking knights. She wondered why it wasn't made of diamond or iron and what made this weapon so important, that it was displayed for visitors to see.

Meghan detected muddled voices behind the wall. She pressed her ear to the planks. On the other side of the wall were two women conversing quite loudly. They must not have realized that they could be heard.

"Granny, you mustn't worry. None of the kingdoms suspect us."

Meghan recognized the first speaker. It was Queen Lauren.

"Neither the Mesa Kingdom nor the Jungle Kingdom have any idea that we sent the attack on their border." Lauren stated.

Meghan gasped. The horrible burning of Zae Phyrr was not the Jungle Kingdom's actions. She must warn the others. She must tell the Jungle and Mesa Kings.

"Child, do you doubt me?" The voice belonged to an elderly woman, who must have been Queen Lauren's grandaunt.

There was a pause from the two. Meghan debated wether to keep listening or leave. The older woman continued.

"Someone must suspect us, why else do I forsee both the Jungle and Mesa Kingdoms declaring war on us?"

"Well, perhaps your visions aren't as reliable as they seem." Lauren retorted.